Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Horrible Customer Service and 25k points

thebrewers12
Explorer C

I had been a A-list preferred member for 9 years prior to this Christmas disaster.  Myself and my family of 6 were stranded in Florida after not being notified that our layover from the Bahamas through FL was cancelled.  After 6 day later booking, a trip to the ER, lost baggage, expenses that were not covered I was assured out of the goodness of their hearts they are giving us each 25k rapid rewards points.

We are now in 2 months, 9 cases, and 20+ calls and still told....  Just to wait, sorry nothing we can do at this time!!!

How is this possible and have people still been getting these points?

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Horrible Customer Service and 25k points

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Numerous people have had luck getting help using Facebook messages. You also need to treat the 25,000 gift as a separate issue from the expense reimbursement. If you separate them it will help simplify your requests and get them routed to the proper people. Good luck

--TheMiddleSeat

thebrewers12
Explorer C

I will try that to see if I can have some sort of resolution..Thanks!

floridaguy
Aviator C

My suggestion is to tally up all of your costs and pursue a legal remedy.  In most states, small claims is up to $8,000.

Regarding the 25,000 points, we have already established that it is not a "gift".  It is intended to be some level of compensation toward the Holiday DISASTER as it has become known.  From a legal standpoint, corporations do not give gifts, they offer something in renumeration or compensation.  

I would not make another call or inquiry.  It has been nearly three months.  

thebrewers12
Explorer C

Great point!  It is just ridiculous the fact they are treating it as they are doing something kind!

No, I was out of work for a week, out of pocket in Fl for an additional 6 days during the busiest week of the year.  Also, the fact they won't refund the flight that was cancelled since they rescheduled 6 DAYS later since they kept the same confirmation #!  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@thebrewers12 wrote:

No, I was out of work for a week, out of pocket in Fl for an additional 6 days during the busiest week of the year.  Also, the fact they won't refund the flight that was cancelled since they rescheduled 6 DAYS later since they kept the same confirmation #!  

You're not going to get reimbursed for lost wages and suing isn't going to help with that either (read the contract of carriage).  You're due a refund if you did not travel.  If you traveled on the rescheduled flight there is nothing to refund.

--TheMiddleSeat

thebrewers12
Explorer C

I understand no reimbursement for the lost wages and so on, but for them to cancel our layover book us 6 days later at a different airport 3 hrs away should constitute a cancelled flight!  There is no way to say we took the flight we paid for!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@thebrewers12 you did not have to take that flight and could have instead cancelled and received a refund or looked for an alternative flight.  If you took the flight then the that's the end of the story, no refund is owed.  Reimbursement of actual expenses related to the additional time would be justified (hotel, food, car, etc).

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@thebrewers12 wrote:

I understand no reimbursement for the lost wages and so on, but for them to cancel our layover book us 6 days later at a different airport 3 hrs away should constitute a cancelled flight!  There is no way to say we took the flight we paid for!

If you ended up flying on that other flight then there won't be a refund. Try asking for a voucher instead, there's a lot more leeway on being able to give a voucher to sooth a bad experience.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy  "gesture of goodwill" = gift.  There is no entitlement to the points and they cannot be sued for.

We have already established you have no legal expertise.

--TheMiddleSeat