Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Hotel Bonus Points & Companion Pass

DennyKu
Explorer C

Capture.JPG

This may sound like a broken record, but I haven't quite found the answer... Does the "6,000 rapid reward points" in the picture above count towards CP? I'm hearing different things, so I wanted to confirm before I book. The reason is if I book through my work I get a lower rate, but if I book through SW I get the 6K bonus points which would help me reach CP. So I am willing to bite the bullet and pay the extra $$$ if it means those points will count towards CP.

Can anyone help me answer this?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Hotel Bonus Points & Companion Pass

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The graphic has to be approved by the moderators. Does it refer to the points as "bonus" - there some debate on other threads that bonus points might or might not count, but had been counting for many posters.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Rick3515
Explorer A

The points WILL count towards your Companion Pass. Even better as you continue with the reservation there is an option to add another 1000 points for an additional few dollars. Definitely worth it in my opinion

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Thanks for jumping in with answers, @Rick3515!

ktgall11
Explorer C

We booked a hotel that had 9,000 rapid reward points and checked out on 12/31/18. The points were applied 1/5/19 but are not companion pass qualifying points.  We have called and spoken with 2 different RR employees and they both told us those points don't count towards companion pass.  Is this a recent change? Everything I had read about online says otherwise. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@ktgall11

That would be a new development as the RR points from hotels have been CP qualifying in the past.  Have you verified this in your account activity?

My account

Recent Activity

View all activity

Verify the points are listed when "Point Type" is on "All", then change point type to "Companion Pass Qualifying Points".  The points are no longer listed?

Thanks for posting this and double checking for us.

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@ktgall11 wrote:

We booked a hotel that had 9,000 rapid reward points and checked out on 12/31/18. The points were applied 1/5/19 but are not companion pass qualifying points.  We have called and spoken with 2 different RR employees and they both told us those points don't count towards companion pass.  Is this a recent change? Everything I had read about online says otherwise. 

To my knowledge there have been no program changes, so points earned from hotel bookings made through Southwesthotels.com continue to be Companion Pass Qualifying.

Be aware, however, that points will qualify only in the year in which the hotel stay is completed. Meaning, for example, that if you completed a stay in late December 2018, but the points didn't post until 2019, those points will not now show as CPQP because they qualified for 2018, not 2019.

Here's a great resource for definitive information regarding Rapid Rewards point tier qualification (TQP) and Companion Pass Qualification (CPQP):

2019 Rapid Rewards® Qualifying Transactions for 2020 Status