Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How good is this Credit Card Deal?

jj1814
Adventurer C

In haste, I went ahead and applied for a Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus card shortly after I received the literature in the mail today. How good is this deal? I just realized that some of you are getting 3 points per $1 for non-Southwest purchase so it looks like not a great deal in the long run for me but great for the short term as we exclusively use our credit card for all purchases and pay off the balance each month. Because of that, $5k should be easily attainable.

Earn Companion Pass through 2/28/2022 plus 30,000 points after you spend $5000 on purchases in the first 3 months.

2 points per dollar for Southwest purchases

1 point per dollar for all others.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How good is this Credit Card Deal?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

There are much better sign up offers out there.  I think I saw 80,000 points after sign up and minimum spend recently.  The points per dollar spend will be the same for everyone although Chase does send out promotions to specific cardholders that may offer higher points per dollar for a limited time.

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C

Earn Companion Pass through 2/28/2022 plus 30,000 points after you spend $5000 on purchases in the first 3 months.

@jj1814 wrote:

THIS. 

If you're flying this year,  you get the companion pass for THIS year,  plus a head start on next year. 

Otherwise,  you have to get the full points before the CP kicks in,  for the rest of the year and next year. 

So it depends on how much you plan to spend, and when you plan to travel.   

jj1814
Adventurer C

Yes we are planning on taking full advantage of the Companion Pass benefit THIS year, as my wife and I have already had COVID-19 and have had 1 of the 2 vaccine doses administered. 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@jj1814 While there are offers that give you much more points for initial spend, I think the CP combined with 30K points is very lucrative, especially if you are able to utilize the CP!  I tis one of the best benefits in the business.

Enjoy!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

AlfredoCruz1
Explorer C

These cards have reward focuses, markdown offers, cashback, free film tickets and bounty more to premium the customer in you.