Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How to use points for flights

donapesc
Explorer C

Hi.

we are booking round trip air fare for family of 4 (me,husband, 2 kids) 

I have enough points to pay for ONE  ONE_WAY (  the return ) flight. 

How do I book the round trip, but apply my points to that one ticket ? 

thanks  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How to use points for flights

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You will be need to book the one points flight separately from the others. I would actually suggest you make 3 bookings:

-4 one way flights to the destination paid with cash

-3 one way flights returning, paid with cash

-1 one way flight returning, using RR points (this should be one of the adult's tickets) 

Making 3 separate reservations is a bit more work, but doing this gives you the greatest flexibility to make changes and take advantage of any price drops. Prices are the same if you book one way or roundtrip.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

Re: How to use points for flights

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

You will be need to book the one points flight separately from the others. I would actually suggest you make 3 bookings:

-4 one way flights to the destination paid with cash

-3 one way flights returning, paid with cash

-1 one way flight returning, using RR points (this should be one of the adult's tickets) 

Do you remember a Saturday Night Live skit for "First National Change Bank" where they can give you change for a dollar as four quarters, or ten dimes, or five dimes and ten nickels....

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.