Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

I Recommend SW Arlines donate value of EarlyBird fees to COVID 19 Charity Funds

HUTCH1963
Explorer C

I've seen the promotion posted on the website for anyone donating $25.00 or more to specific charities will receive 10 Rapid Rewards points per dollar donated through May 31.

I recommend that SW Airlines donate the value of all the EarlyBird Check-In fees that have been forfeited by customers (due to cancellations and changes) to the posted charities and still receive the 10 Rapid Rewards points.

In our current environment many customers may not be able to donate financially, however, Southwest accepted customer payments for EarlyBird Check-In fees that may not be available due to cancelled flights. 

The customer wins with knowing a donation was made and received extra Rapid Rewards points.

Southwest Airlines wins with a charitable tax deduction (and the promotion).

The charities win with the contributions.

Everyone wins!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: I Recommend SW Arlines donate value of EarlyBird fees to COVID 19 Charity Funds

dfwskier
Aviator A

Given the financial repercussions the virus is having on people, I suspect that most passengers win more by using an option that is available to everyone who had EB and cancelled: convert the EB to a voucher tat is useable by anyone - not just the named passenger.

Given the financial tenuousness of every airline, you are not going to see any of them refund anything that they are not required to refund.

Re: I Recommend SW Arlines donate value of EarlyBird fees to COVID 19 Charity Funds

HUTCH1963
Explorer C

I agree with your point.  However, not "requiring" to refund but rather "donate in lieu of" was the reason for the post.  Only a suggestion.

bec102896
Aviator A

I would send your suggestion to Southwest directly though one of these options: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint that way they can pass on your idea to the appropriate team and maybe they will have a way for you to donate the EB fee. 

One idea i have I heard some were being offered points for the EB fee if your flight was within a certain time frame and you choose to cancel maybe you could get the points then go and donate the points to the charity of your choice on Southwest.com it Is a couple steps but it might work if Southwest is still offering points instead of a voucher the best thing to do would be to reach out to Southwest on Facebook or Twitter and they might be able to help. 

-Blake 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@HUTCH1963 wrote:

I agree with your point.  However, not "requiring" to refund but rather "donate in lieu of" was the reason for the post.  Only a suggestion.

One thing you need to remember is that the EB fees SW is holding are not yet SW's.

Passengers can convert them to vouchers. I don't know how far after a cancellation that option applies, but until then it's not Southwest's option to "use" the funds.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Funds held by carriers that are ultimately not used by passengers are called "breakage" and represent a significant source of revenue.

nostresshere
Adventurer C

Nice idea... but keep in mind that the "company" is also in serious trouble.    Real serious financial trouble.

And by the way, they have been doing lots of contributions.