Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

In theory could My Wife and I Both Get Companion Passes this year?

heresteve
Explorer C

So I was just thinking about how we could travel for less and this idea came to me. Wondering if this would work?

I travel a ton for work, usually earn around 70K points a year. If I was to apply for the premiere card (i already have the plus) and get the 50k bonus points that would qualify me for companion pass.

Then if my wife applies for the plus card gets 50K then a few months later the premiere card and gets an additonal 50K that would put her at 100K points. We would have to spend $4000 to qualify for the bonus so that puts her at a total of 104K points. She just needs to yearn an additional 6K to qualify.

Then we each name one of our kids as companions and we Fly our family of 4 for the price of 2?

Could that actually work? 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: In theory could My Wife and I Both Get Companion Passes this year?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @heresteve,

We certainly don't have any rules against two (or more!) members of the same household earning a Companion Pass. How you choose to do it is entirely up to you! Good luck, and happy traveling!

segan83
Explorer C

If we were to have two companion passes then, I would book the flight for myself and my wife. Then, we both go in separately to our rapid rewards accounts and add our companions? Is that right?

dfwskier
Aviator A

You don't add a companion to your ticket. You can't change your companion from ticket to ticket.

You add your companion to your pass. Then you book your ticket and include your designated companion.

You are allowed to change your companion up to three times in a calendar year.

Yes, both of you could earn passes.

segan83
Explorer C

Okay, so I would add a child as my companion and my wife would add a child as her companion. Then, when we book the flight for both of us, I include my companion and then she can go into her account and add her companion as well?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Keep in mind that you can only add a companion to a ticket that was paid for with some method of payment (cash, points, voucher, etc).  You cannot add a companion to the reservation of someone already traveling as a companion.  Perhaps that is not what you have in mind, but sure seems like it.

--TheMiddleSeat

segan83
Explorer C

I would pay for my and my wife's tickets then we would each include our companions on the flight. Two paid tickets and two companions.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@segan83 wrote:

I would pay for my and my wife's tickets then we would each include our companions on the flight. Two paid tickets and two companions.

That would work.