Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Increase in points needed to redeem for rewards

ashleydavidson
Explorer C

I'm sorry, but when did the number of points needed to redeem for gift cards increase? I purchased a gift card in May at the usual 5,000pts for $50 and now they have increased it?! Surely I am not the only one enraged by this considering I have had the card for several years now. Absurd!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Increase in points needed to redeem for rewards

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Yes this topic has come up before.

Southwest only controls the number of points needed to buy plane tickets. Every other thing you might buy is handled thru a totally different company: More Rewards. Southwest does not control how much More Rewards charges for products any more than it controls how much in dollars car rental companies charge - which mean not at all.

If you would like to express your displeasure with the change, then you should express it to More Rewards.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/More-Rewards-Contact-amp-FAQs/ta-p/108878

Re: Increase in points needed to redeem for rewards

gsking
Aviator C

Using your SW credit card to generate RR points to just buy gift cards is not a particularly efficient way to get cash back from your credit card.  Many other cards give more than the 1% you seem to be getting, without the hassle of gift cards.

Unless of course you're buying Southwest tickets with your credit card... But then you'd likely be using those points for additional flights, which is also more efficient than converting them to cash.