Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Increased Companion Pass requirements for 2020

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

As mentioned previously, the Companion Pass remains an incredibly valued item that can be acquired by practically anyone (via the airline's many options: credit cards, flights, dining, etc.). As always, be sure to voice your feedback with Southwest via their official channels  (phone, email, Twitter, etc.) so your thoughts can be passed to the proper team. Who knows? Maybe they'll walk this back once they see how tough this is for folks.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

gsking
Aviator C

I'm kinda thinking that seniors are most likely the ones who cost the company the MOST on the CP.   Being retired, both people can fly on every flight, and each one will be booked on WGA fares.  Meaning:  MUCH lower profit.

That being said, I do think it would be quite a fair trade to allow for concurrent boarding.   Even with A-list for both, my companion and I having to board separately is a hassle.

Oh well, that's the nature of the business.  At least we have a full year to figure it out.

sueadtjax
Explorer C

I find the increase from $110,000 to $125,000 spend an unusually high jump.  Perhaps a more acceptable compromise would be a combination of PAID flights and annaul spend.  We love the entire RR program but have been plagued with cancellations when reaching destination cities in time for international flights and ship boardings putting vacations in jeapardy.  I now question the reliability of SWA as it has happened to us twice requiring scheduling with other airlines on the day of travel.  For years I chose SWA over other carriers and was inconvienced with stop overs just to qualify for the Companion benefit.  Now that I don't travel weekly and rely on the yearly spend, I feel I am being penalized.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@sueadtjax wrote:

I find the increase from $110,000 to $125,000 spend an unusually high jump.  Perhaps a more acceptable compromise would be a combination of PAID flights and annaul spend.  

The change is from 110,000 points to 125,000 points, and is not an increase of $15,000 dollars. Strictly speaking of earning points through flying, a flyer earns a minimum of 6 points per dollar on a Wanna Get Away fare, up to 12 points per dollar on a Business Select fare. Add in the additional points per dollar earned if the flight was purchased on a Southwest credit card and the points add up pretty quickly. Then factor in the multitude of additional ways to earn Rapid Rewards points and the additional 15,000 points can be obtained rather easily. Yes, the system is currently either points earned or flights flown and not a combination of the two which would be a nice option. 

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C

Confused...we already get a combination of paid flight credit and spending credit.  That's what the 125,000 point value is.   Or you can get there with 100 paid flights, regardless of the point value.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

Confused...we already get a combination of paid flight credit and spending credit.  That's what the 125,000 point value is.   Or you can get there with 100 paid flights, regardless of the point value.

You're still describing a situation that requires earning either 100% of the points required OR 100% of the flights required. How you earn the points is irrelevant. In my opinion a combination option that allowed for something such as only 50 flights AND 70,000 points earned would be a nice alternative.

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@@

You're still describing a situation that requires earning either 100% of the points required OR 100% of the flights required. How you earn the points is irrelevant. In my opinion a combination option that allowed for something such as only 50 flights AND 70,000 points earned would be a nice alternative.

--TheMiddleSeat

SWDigits
Aviator A

@sueadtjax wrote:

We love the entire RR program but have been plagued with cancellations when reaching destination cities in time for international flights and ship boardings putting vacations in jeapardy.  I now question the reliability of SWA as it has happened to us twice requiring scheduling with other airlines on the day of travel.

You may want to consider Freebird, a third party provider, for flights within the continental U.S.  I'm not affiliated with them, I've purchased their service once.  Additional thoughts with third party reference links contained in this post:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/General-Travel-Policies/Flights-are-full-sorry/m-p/97042/hi...

Customer | Home airport DCA

AUSfromBUF
Explorer C

I think the $$$ amount was high enough and hard enough to reach.  I'd rather not have the increase and have miles expire.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@AUSfromBUF wrote:

I think the $$$ amount was high enough and hard enough to reach.  I'd rather not have the increase and have miles expire.

A few days ago the airline announced a policy change: miles never expire.

Likewise I'd prefer to not have prices for things go up, but prices for everything go up - like $50,000 pick up trucks (with an $11,000 discount off of MSRP). I vowed to not buy a new car when the price gets to be more than the price  I paid for my first house: $54,900. We're getting close.