Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Increased Companion Pass requirements for 2020

Kansgirl1949
Explorer C

Hi flying from Kansas City to anywhere is so much more difficult then it was living on either coast....that being said I have a question...I have applied for a business card, waiting to receive.I have 3 months to spend $5k to receive my points- that takes me to 1/20/2020 will I Still have to accumulate 125k to get a companion or does the 110k still apply since I started the card in 2019? Will I lose the points I have received the this year working on the companion pass since the card is not here yet? My husband is a retired Captain from another airline, passes apply- when you can get on BUT -SWA is my favorite airline to fly.

Re: Increased Companion Pass requirements for 2020

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@Kansgirl1949 wrote:

Hi flying from Kansas City to anywhere is so much more difficult then it was living on either coast....that being said I have a question...I have applied for a business card, waiting to receive.I have 3 months to spend $5k to receive my points- that takes me to 1/20/2020 will I Still have to accumulate 125k to get a companion or does the 110k still apply since I started the card in 2019? Will I lose the points I have received the this year working on the companion pass since the card is not here yet? My husband is a retired Captain from another airline, passes apply- when you can get on BUT -SWA is my favorite airline to fly.

Companion pass qualification is a January thru December thing. Points earned in one year don't help you in the following year.

So to answer your question, if you actually get the sign up bonus  points in 2020, then you are subject to the 2020 qualification level: 125k points. 

Reminder: if you decide to try to accelerate spending to get the pass this year, you are subject to whatever date Chase gives you for a statement closing date. Spending this year that does not appear until a statement issued in 2020 gives points in 2020 and not 2019.

If you decide to accelerate spending into this year, I'd suggest that you call Chase now and request a statement date of something like the 25th or 26th.

Also, you can always use points to buy a points flight, so you don't really lose them, but as described above they might not help you in your quest to get the pass.

good luck