Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Increased Companion Pass requirements for 2020

BUFluvsSWA
Explorer C

The mileage requirements are increasing to 125,000 miles from 110,000 miles but with no improvements to the program.  The program is still outstanding and we will still work to qualify.

What would have been amazing is if Southwest took this opporunity to fix the Companion Pass boarding issue and let the two flyers board together with whomever had/earned the better boarding location.  There would be zero cost to Southwest but it sure would make the 13% increase in mileage requirements more palatable.

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Increased Companion Pass requirements for 2020

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

In this era when airlines are cutting back perks or even eliminating them I don't think upping the points required to earn Companion Pass is too bad of a change if it means the perk continues to exist. Yes, it could be improved, but could also be eliminated.

--TheMiddleSeat

markholmes22
Explorer C

I do not like this change and I hope SW goes back to the 110,000 point requirement.

It is hard enough to reach 110,000 points in a year (I will barely make it this year), but raising it to 125,000 will eliminate a lot of Companion Passes (which is the point).

Yeah, I get it, Southwest could just cancel the program.  This perk is one of the reasons I fly Southwest EXCLUSIVELY.  Eventually there will be no reason to fly Southwest exclusively.  I changed from staying at IHG properties to Hilton properties and I can do the same with the airlines.  I can start building points/miles with other airlines since I will have to pay for my companion after 2020.

So, don't continue to make bad decisions Southwest, I expect better of you.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Who knows -- maybe Chase will up it's sign up points bonus???

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Buy one get one free airline tickets should be a hard status to get. In my opinion it had become too easy to acquire a Companion Pass with all the credit card bonuses and sign-up offers. As @dfwskier mentions, it wouldn't surprise me if Chase increased their bonuses so there's no impact to the cardholder, but Southwest makes more money from Chase who buys the points from Southwest.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@markholmes22 wrote:

Eventually there will be no reason to fly Southwest exclusively.   

Really? I would fly SW just to avoid the fees charged by other airlines -- saves me thousands of $/year.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@markholmes22 wrote:

Eventually there will be no reason to fly Southwest exclusively.   

Really? I would fly SW just to avoid the fees charged by other airlines -- saves me thousands of $/year.

Bags fly free. 

Generally lower prices. 

Free drinks and snacks. 

Friendly service. 

Easy to earn free flights. 

None of those count? 

--TheMiddleSeat

senior48
Explorer C

I am very disturbed about the significantly raised limit to qualify for a companion pass in the future. I have been a loyal SWA flier for over 30 years and am now retired. In my working past I have easily qualified based on trips flown but now that I'm retired and fly less my ability to qualify is heavily dependent on SW credit card purchases. This increase to 125,000 points will make it impossible to achieve as a senior and long time SWA customer.

Perhaps having a lower qualifying requirement for seniors would be a welcome modification particularly since we don't take advantage of the companion benefit as much and economically can't afford to meet these new higher qualifying limits.

Please consider a modification to the new rules which wouldn't disadvantage your most senior supporters of long standing. Some sort of grandfathering of those over age 65,  who currently qualify at the 110,000 limit,  such as freezing that limit for them, would solve this and avoid a lot of ill will from those of us who have been your most long time customers and who are now on fixed incomes. Please help.

jksobonya
Aviator A

I would think that if a retired senior can somehow earn 110,000 points a year (!), 125,000 wouldn't be that much more of a stretch. I've never gotten close to these numbers (I don't participate / use any of the SW credit cards), but you could probably cover that difference in Rewards for Opinion surveys or RR dining alone (assuming you are a member of either one, which you should be). 

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

Car prices have goe up. House prices have gone up. Steak prices have gone up. Dry cleaning prices have gone up. Property taxes have gone up. Insurance prices have gone up. Hotel prices have gone up. Rent car prices have gone up. Cruise prices have gone up.

Given the above, why would anyone think that anything related to air travel would be different?