Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Inheriting a spouse's rapid rewrard points

dfwskier
Aviator A

I've been told that Southwest allows a deceased spouse's rapid reward points to be inherited by the surviving spouse. What must the survivng spouse tneed to do to allow this to happen?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Inheriting a spouse's rapid rewrard points

bec102896
Aviator A

From what I heard when my grandma died 2 years a go someone can transfer the points for $10 per 1,000 points (not sure if that cost is still the same). Unfortunately I'm not aware of a give the points to a spouse for free option after passing but if you find out otherwise I would like to know that as well

Hope this helps 

Blake 

dfwskier
Aviator A

That is what a SW customer servie rep told me, but didn't tell me the mechanism to do so.

Before I'd pay to transfer points, I'd simply keep the deceased's account active and use the points. You have two yeas from last activiy - unless you do somethng as simply as make a small dining for points purchase. to extend the expiration date.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Talked to the people at the executive offices. Their advice was to keep the deceased person's account open and simply buy RR ticketts thru that account.

edit add: I think it might be OK to buy a small number of points to have enough to buy a ticket. I'd never advocate buying any significant number of points.

That's better than paying to move points to another account.

In another vein, they refunded the "non Refundable" tickets due to the death of the original ticket holder - no problems, no questions asked.

gsmatsuno
Explorer C

My spouse has accumulated points. Can I transfer her points to my account to combine our points?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@gsmatsuno wrote:

My spouse has accumulated points. Can I transfer her points to my account to combine our points?

Yes you can, but it is an expensive enough proposition that many think it is not worth it..IMO  you are better off having your spouse make reservations in your name than transferng points.