Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Initiating Companion Pass

eavesjr
Explorer C

So, I have what I'm afraid is a dumb question.  I have qualified for the Companion Pass and now have a points total of approximately 150,000.  My question is:

Have I simply qualified for the Companion Pass program?  Or... do I have to "pay" 110,000 points to add someone as my companion (reducing my points total to approximately 40,000)?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Initiating Companion Pass

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Once you have earned the companion pass you should be able to designate the companion without paying more since you already paid to earn those points 

you can call reservations at 800-435-9792 to designate your companion and they will send you a companion pass card with the companions name and expiration date on it.

After you set your companion you can use those points to fly both of you for free (just have to pay the security taxes of $5.60 per one way domestic) if using points for your ticket 

hope this helps

Blake 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

To clarify, Companion Pass requires earning 110,000 Companion Pass qualifying points within one calendar year (January 1-December 31).  Once January 1 rolls everyone keeps any points they earned in the previous year, but the CP qualification count resets back to zero.  Double check that your point total is indeed Companion Pass qualifying points and all were earned within the calendar year.  If that's the case you should see the option to designate your companion and there is no reduction to your point total, those are yours to keep and redeem towards flights.  You can see your progress towards earning Companion Pass and also designate your companion if you have earned CP by going to My Account, and looking in the Snapshot section of My Rapid Rewards on southwest.com

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@eavesjr wrote:

So, I have what I'm afraid is a dumb question.  I have qualified for the Companion Pass and now have a points total of approximately 150,000.  My question is:

Have I simply qualified for the Companion Pass program?  Or... do I have to "pay" 110,000 points to add someone as my companion (reducing my points total to approximately 40,000)?

Even though this is marked solved, I wanted to clarify as I think the OP had a slightly different question - earning points in terms of "tier qualifying" for CP or A-list is completely separate from redeeming points or paying them for flights and other rewards.

You can redeem points as you go, that doesn't affect your tier qualifying total of points which is cumulative for the year, whether you redeemed any or not.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.