Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Is Companion considered part of my Reservation?

TSKC
Explorer C

I have had a Companion Pass for several years.  Just got A-List for the first time.  SWA benefits explanation for A-List states:  "In addition, you and all Passengers included on your reservation will receive priority boarding which means Southwest will automatically reserve a boarding position 36 hours prior to the flight."  So, is my Companion considered part of my Reservation (i.e., no need for Early Bird anymore)?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Is Companion considered part of my Reservation?

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@TSKC wrote:

I have had a Companion Pass for several years.  Just got A-List for the first time.  SWA benefits explanation for A-List states:  "In addition, you and all Passengers included on your reservation will receive priority boarding which means Southwest will automatically reserve a boarding position 36 hours prior to the flight."  So, is my Companion considered part of my Reservation (i.e., no need for Early Bird anymore)?

Unfortunately, no. The companion receives a different confirmation number, and does not receive any of the A-Lister's benefits, including boarding.

Southwest has indicated that this may change at some point. 

TSKC
Explorer C

chgoflyer, Thanks for your explanation.  That helps with our planning.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

Although I have mixed feelings about it, there is not a policy against saving a seat for your companion.

TSKC
Explorer C

tappingmom1:  Saving a seat may be even more palatable to our fellow flyers as long as the middle seats remain open.  Thanks.

gsking
Aviator C

Yeah, I can't imagine any issue with saving a seat.  Everyone gets an aisle or window, so no reason for them to need yours.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Well, I recently booked a trip to Hawaii in February.  In talking with the SWA operator I was undecided about the early bird when she mentioned:  By then SW may have the kinks out of the system that may allow my companion to board with me....SO, hold on to your hat.  When is your trip?   As mentioned, I've held the seat for my companion, but we are good about being online to check in right on the minute of the 24 check-in time and she is usually under B-10, so not much problem.  can't wait for the kinks to be worked out.