Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Jan / Feb 2022 Companion Pass promotion was a joke

gsdavis2535
Explorer C

Last Sept. I took part in a promotion where you had to fly1 roundtrip or 2 one way flights to get a companion pass in Jan & Feb 2022.

I never received it and Southwest customer service has become really bad.  Can't call or e-mail and when you do get a response there is no resolution.

As a long time Southwest customer I feel it is time to give other airlines a try.

Anyone else get stiffed on the Jan / Feb 2022 Companion pass promotion?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Jan / Feb 2022 Companion Pass promotion was a joke

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Are you certain that you followed the terms and conditions of the promotion? There has definitely been a lot of confusion about it. 

--TheMiddleSeat

rich1954
Adventurer A

I booked with points so I was not eligible.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Here's the offer and terms & conditions for reference. If you met the qualifications, why did Southwest say you didn't?

CP promo.png

Terms and Conditions:

Register for this promotion, then book one round trip or two one-way Southwest® flights between 8:00 a.m. on September 7, 2021 and 11:59 p.m. CST on September 9, 2021 for travel dates from September 7 to November 18, 2021 (the "Promotion Period"), and fly during the Promotion Period to earn a Promotional Companion Pass® valid for use between January 6 to February 28, 2022. To register for this promotion, you will need to provide your Southwest Rapid Rewards® account number at the time of registration. If you do not have a Rapid Rewards account number, you may register for an account by going online to Southwest.com/rapidrewards to become a Member. Rapid Rewards accounts are free. Member must register for this promotion, book a Southwest flight between 8:00 a.m. on September 7, 2021 and 11:59 p.m. CST on September 9, 2021 for travel during the Promotion Period, and fly during the Promotion Period. Registration must be completed prior to booking and commencement of travel. Valid on new qualifying revenue flights booked between 8:00 a.m. on September 7, 2021 and 11:59 p.m. CST on September 9, 2021 for travel during the Promotion Period and flown within the Promotion Period. Member's qualifying flight must be booked through Southwest Airlines® between 8:00 a.m. on September 7, 2021 and 11:59 p.m. CST on September 9, 2021 for travel that must be completed during the Promotion Period. Member's Rapid Rewards account number must be entered at the time of booking Member's qualifying flight to earn a Promotional Companion Pass valid for use between January 6 and February 28, 2022. A qualifying one-way flight for this promotion is a one-way revenue flight on Southwest Airlines from an origin city to a destination city, including any intermediate stops and/or connections on Southwest Airlines. A qualifying round trip flight for this promotion is a round trip revenue flight on Southwest Airlines from an origin city to a destination city and back to the originating airport or carrier-recognized co-terminal. Valid on new reservations booked within the Promotion Period only. Travel booked or flown prior to registration for this promotion is not eligible for this Promotional Companion Pass offer. Companion Pass, charter flights, reward and group travel, and Southwest Vacations® packages do not qualify as one-way or round trip revenue flights for this promotion. Changes made to any itinerary after purchase of a one-way or round trip revenue flight may eliminate qualification for this promotion. The Promotional Companion Pass is valid from January 6 to February 28, 2022 and allows you to designate one person to fly with you, free of airline charges* (does not include taxes and fees from $5.60 one-way) on flights purchased by you from January 6 to February 28, 2022, booked through Southwest, and completed between January 6 to February 28, 2022. No points or tier or Companion Pass qualifying points will be awarded for flights taken by the Companion when flying on a Promotional Companion Pass or Companion Pass reservation. You may change your designated Companion up to three times while you have Promotional Companion Pass. If you earn Companion Pass in 2022 by earning 125,000 Companion Pass qualifying points or flying 100 qualifying flights, any changes to your designated Companion during the time you have a Promotional Companion Pass will reduce the number of changes you can make to your designated Companion in the 2022 calendar year. For example, if you earn a Promotional Companion Pass through this promotion, change your designated Companion twice during the validity period for Promotional Companion Pass, and later in 2022 earn Companion Pass, you would only be able to change your designated Companion one more time in 2022. Companion Pass is not transferable. All Rapid Rewards rules and regulations apply and can be found at Southwest.com/rrterms. Southwest® reserves the right to amend, suspend, or change the Rapid Rewards program and/or Rapid Rewards program rules at any time without notice. Rapid Rewards Members do not acquire property rights in accrued points. The number of points needed for a particular Southwest flight is set by Southwest and will vary depending on destination, time, day of travel, demand, fare type, point redemption rate, and other factors, and is subject to change at any time until the booking is confirmed. ©2021 Southwest Airlines Co. *Must include Rapid Rewards number during booking. Limited time. Restrictions apply.

The account information in this email is only an estimate for a specific point in time. Please reference your Rapid Rewards account on Southwest.com® for the most up-to-date information on available points, tier status, including tier qualifying points or flights, and Companion Pass® qualifying points or flights.

All Rapid Rewards rules and regulations apply.

Cualquier información publicitaria, promocional o de mercadotecnia contenida en este correo electrónico sólo será efectiva y únicamente será aplicable en los Estados Unidos de América.

This is a post-only mailing from Southwest Airlines®. Please do not attempt to respond to this message.

Southwest Airlines
2702 Love Field Drive
Dallas, TX 75235
1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792)

© Copyright 2021 Southwest Airlines Co. All Rights Reserved.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@gsdavis2535 wrote:

Last Sept. I took part in a promotion where you had to fly1 roundtrip or 2 one way flights to get a companion pass in Jan & Feb 2022.

I never received it and Southwest customer service has become really bad.  Can't call or e-mail and when you do get a response there is no resolution.

As a long time Southwest customer I feel it is time to give other airlines a try.

Anyone else get stiffed on the Jan / Feb 2022 Companion pass promotion?

Did you register first, then book the flights or were the flights already purchased, and did you make any subsequent changes to the flights?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheOR
Explorer C

I'm pretty frustrated, too. But I guess it's my fault because I didn't read the fine print.
I booked my qualifying flight at 10:02 PM Pacific Time on Sept. 9.
I was not qualified because it posted at 12:02 a.m. Central Time.

I was late by 2 minutes. 120 seconds. And Southwest has not responded to an email I sent.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheOR wrote:

I'm pretty frustrated, too. But I guess it's my fault because I didn't read the fine print.
I booked my qualifying flight at 10:02 PM Pacific Time on Sept. 9.
I was not qualified because it posted at 12:02 a.m. Central Time.

I was late by 2 minutes. 120 seconds. And Southwest has not responded to an email I sent.

That would be frustrating, hopefully it was a trip you were going to take anyway. Otherwise that's too bad if you were thinking about it and just didn't get it booked in the window, so close!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

I feel the OP's pain, I registered, I bought the required tickets, and completed the flights in the required time frame and received zero acknowledgement. I reached out repeatedly on twitter and got no response. Nothing showed up in my RR account. Fortunately, I ultimately renewed my annual CP at the end of November by hitting 125,000 points so I stopped worrying about it since it no longer mattered. (Just used a CP this past weekend.)

Just curious any posters here actually get the mini-CP promotion successfully?

Poor form on SWA's part here communication wise, perhaps they just couldn't handle the deluge? 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@parpitt1 wrote:

I feel the OP's pain, I registered, I bought the required tickets, and completed the flights in the required time frame and received zero acknowledgement. I reached out repeatedly on twitter and got no response. Nothing showed up in my RR account. Fortunately, I ultimately renewed my annual CP at the end of November by hitting 125,000 points so I stopped worrying about it since it no longer mattered. (Just used a CP this past weekend.)

Just curious any posters here actually get the mini-CP promotion successfully?

Poor form on SWA's part here communication wise, perhaps they just couldn't handle the deluge? 

You would not have gotten  a confirmation of you achieving the shortened CP if you achieved the regular one before the shortened one communication would have been sent.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

That's kind of my point, when I hit 125,000 points in late November, I got multiple "notifications" that my CP was good through December of 2022. I completed the "promotional CP" flights in the 1st week of October, and nothing, nada, no acknowledgement. No responses from social media pings, (Twitter.) In the past I have been very successful in gaining feedback to tweets.

Please remember SWA is my go to airline so my empathy is based on my own experience on this promotion, I would have flown the flights anyway but I purchased them earlier than I would have based on the promotion.