Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Last second way to get 3500pts needed points for CP?

chiner
Explorer C

I'll start with saying I know this is the worst time to get the CP and I'm an idiot. With that being said, my statement close date is 12/21 and I'd love to get the points needed. Any last second suggestions for stuff that will post before close?

Cheers and thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Last second way to get 3500pts needed points for CP?

dfwskier
Aviator A

If your Chase closing date is 12/21, then anything you buy before 12/21 will earn RR points.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Check is if you qualify for any category bonuses on the card, specifically a 10x gas and 5x grocery and Amazon bonus that was on many Southwest cards in the 4th quarter. Go to https://www.chase.com/mybonus and enter your info. If you have that bonus available and have put gas, grocery, or Amazon charges on the card since Oct 1 it will give you all the bonus points retroactively. You can use the Chase spend analyzer to see how much you have spent in those categories. You can also buy a $350 in gift cards at a gas station for a quick and easy 3500 points IF the charge posts to your card before the 21st. In other words IF you qualify for the bonus go buy gift cards at a gas station ASAP.

Second option would be to fly. 

Third option would be to book a hotel through Southwest hotels. You could book a cheap, local hotel, check-in and never actually stay there.

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Third option would be to book a hotel through Southwest hotels. You could book a cheap, local hotel, check-in and never actually stay there.

--TheMiddleSeat

Cheaper hotels probably won't give you the offers that are worth thousands of points, many just give you 1 point per dollar, but it all depends on the hotel / location / etc. 

--Jessica

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sorry, I should clarify... cheaper hotel that offers the bonus points.  I spent $250 for a 10,000 point hotel earlier this year.  Seeing as the 10,000 points is good for $140 worth of travel on Southwest and it put me over the threshold for CP right before a flight I needed to take it was a great deal for me.  I just checked in and then went home.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chiner wrote:

I'll start with saying I know this is the worst time to get the CP and I'm an idiot. With that being said, my statement close date is 12/21 and I'd love to get the points needed. Any last second suggestions for stuff that will post before close?

Cheers and thanks!

1) It's not the worst time - it resets with the new year so it isn't like you have any choice. Plenty of people earn CP in the last few weeks/months.

2) Here is the menu. Plenty of good options ranging from flying on a points run if you have a free day ahead of you - this is by far the most reliable and with next-day updating of your status so it is very transparent and without any hiccups other than the potential for a travel disruption.

But Southwest hotels, rental cars, or Rocketmiles could work if you need to book any hotel by the end of the year, or else make a sham reservation at a nearby hotel if you think CP will benefit you more than the cost of the points run or hotel booking.

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.