Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lost Travels funds (Case #43346844)

LEByrum
Explorer C

On Aprinl 8th I contacted SWA on trying to recover Travel Funds for a trip scheduled for my Brother to come visit me (last July 2021) and had to cancel the trip in June 2021 yet I was told the funds expired May 4th2022. Could have swore the funds would be available for 1 year (364 days) or as a "Southwest LUV Voucher (SLV)". So I have been on hold with SWA for a total of 8 hours over the last week and getting super frustrated as I see the fares are literally double what they were last year...

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Lost Travels funds (Case #43346844)

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Travel funds expire one year from the date you made the original purchase, not one year from when you cancel.  If your travel funds expired May 4, 2022 that indicates you made the purchase on May 4, 2021.  Is that correct?

All is not lost. You can request expired travel funds be converted to a voucher. The value of each travel fund is reduced by $100, but you will be able to use the majority of your expired travel funds value. You have 6 months after expiration to request this and then 6 months to use the voucher. Send your request in writing using the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message. Send the confirmation numbers from the expired travel funds and names of the passengers who had the travel funds.

--TheMiddleSeat

LEByrum
Explorer C

I requested this prior to the expiration date and the response from SWA didn't give me that anything other than a general response similar to what you are stating. Still on CS line awaiting an agent to give me access to the now deflated travel funds... Nice to know that one months effort takes HOURS of phone call time.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You cannot make the request before expiration which explains the lack of answer to your previous inquiry. Save yourself the headache and send a message as I described earlier. Done in 2 minutes. 

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Travel funds expire one year from the date you made the original purchase, not one year from when you cancel.  

And it may be less that that if you used a travel fund in paying for the ticket. If you did, then the expiration date would be the soonest expiration date of the travel fund(s) used.