Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Maybe it isn't as hard as I'm making it, but I have questions about Companion Pass?

BourbonHunter
Explorer C

I'm really going to try and be clear here mostly because I'm confused myself so I apologize in advance if I belabor the point in an effort to be clear.

I qualified for Companion Pass last week, got an e-mail confirming this is fact.  I read through the terms of service (yea, I'm the guy that actually reads those things) and it says my companion "May be asked to show the pass when checking in".  We are traveling the first week of next month and it say the pass may take 21 days to arrive, is that going to be a problem for us when we go to the airport?

OK, that was the easy one, here is where it gets difficult.    I am not A-list (which I guess is going to matter) I prefer to buy Business Select for multiple reasons, one of which is the boarding spot.  I read in the TOS that my Companion would not be able to board with me in the specific case of Business Class.  No problem (I thought), I'll just buy Anytime and upgrade to Business Select.  Well, I can't upgrade my Companion, only mine.

I understand why they reserve those 1-15 spots for paying customers, but I am willing to pay to upgrade, it's just the option isn't available.  Anytime does come with Early Bird, but we are on separate reservations so I'm not sure we will be boarding together as I've read sometimes in this situation people are 30+ spots apart.  

I would really like to get us both Business Select. In a spot like this what is the best practice to get us to board together and as close to first as possible?

Thank you for any information you can provide and let me know if I need to give more details.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Maybe it isn't as hard as I'm making it, but I have questions about Companion Pass?

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

So you can’t upgrade a free ticket that’s the first thing. also you don’t need to show a companion pass card because those aren’t mailed out anymore and usually once you are able to add your companion info on the website you can usually use the pass right away (only exception might be if they issue a promotional companion pass if they put the pass in an account early) 

if you really want your companion to board with you they can buy upgraded boarding if available on the app starting 24 hours before your flight then they would be in the A1-15 group. If BS is sold out you could pay for Early Bird check in and hope they are in the upper A or low B group 

Re: Maybe it isn't as hard as I'm making it, but I have questions about Companion Pass?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Buy the upgraded boarding at 24 hours prior to departure. That is the best little "secret" and I've yet to have that plan be ruined by a full Business Select group. 

Also, just to clarify, your companion isn't getting a Wanna Get Away or Anytime fare, they are getting a Companion fare so you can't look at it in terms of switching fares or perks based on fare type. 

--TheMiddleSeat

BourbonHunter
Explorer C

Thank you for the replies. 
@TheMiddleSeat That’s a good way to look at the fares and I do understand she’s getting a Companion Fare. Thanks for breaking it down that way. 
To be clear, I can go to the desk at the gate day of the flight and update us both to business class at that point?  Does that option become available 24 hours prior to the flight in the app (currently only available for me, not her Companion ticket) 

I’m assuming the cost to upgrade will be different for her vs me, correct?

Thank you again

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Upgrade to Business Select (not Business Class) is a completely separate thing, and in my opinion, not a good idea.  Immediately after check-in via the app or on southwest.com you will see the option for upgraded boarding.  This gets the purchaser a spot in A1-15 (if available) and usually runs about $40.  This is sold per flight segment so if you have a layover you will need to pay the upgrade cost times two.  If you already have Business Select then you would not need to do this, just your companion.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@BourbonHunter wrote:

Thank you for the replies. 
@TheMiddleSeat That’s a good way to look at the fares and I do understand she’s getting a Companion Fare. Thanks for breaking it down that way. 
To be clear, I can go to the desk at the gate day of the flight and update us both to business class at that point?  Does that option become available 24 hours prior to the flight in the app (currently only available for me, not her Companion ticket) 

I’m assuming the cost to upgrade will be different for her vs me, correct?

Thank you again

Not upgrading your ticket (if you didn't buy Business Select) - upgraded boarding (but keep your same ticket)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.