Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Missing points from car rental

Ron_jacobson
Explorer B

I am a loyal SW recreational traveler and have been averaging 5 flight per year over the last 5+ years.  I always do what I can to maximize the points earned and have gotten to Companion Fare status for the last 3 years.  In mid April this year I took vacationed in Vegas for a week and rented a car from Alamo using the SW code 7016141on the Amao site which should earn me 600 bonus points.  I have done this in the past and the point have posted within a week.  This time I am going on 2 month and still no points.

I am a bit frustreated becasuse SW says it is up to Alamo and contacty them and Alamo says they have sent the points and I need to contact SW.  

Has anyone else experinced this type of issue?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Missing points from car rental

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Check back with Alamo that they have the correct RR# on the account.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

My experience is that rent car companies are pretty bad at giving the bonus RR points that they promise. I have frequently had to contact them to remind them that they owe me points. It's happened with Payless, Dollar and Budget and maybe others.

Your post seems to indicate that you received the regular 600 points, but not the bonus points. If that's true, contact the company and tell it you want your bonus points. If you didn't even get the regular 600 points, as already suggested, contact the firm and make sure it has your correct RR number.

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

You could reach out to Southwest customer relations at 855-234-4654 and they might be able to open a ticket and the liaison who deals with Alamo would hopefully be able to help. My mom had this happen with payless and Alamo and after getting the liaison involved they were able to credit her the points. 

Also just be sure Alamo has your name and correct RR number because if the name on the rental doesn't match your RR account that is probably the issue just like you can't earn points for your family's flights. 

I also had a similar issues with getting the points from the partner super shuttle and after getting that liaison involved I was able to get the points so it won't hurt to try contacting customer relations. 

Hope you get your points!

Blake 

Ron_jacobson
Explorer B

Thanks Blake I am going to give the CR phone number a shot.  

ilvanhalen
Explorer C

YES!!  Alamo is giving me the run around too!  In February 2019 I rented with Alamo and the points were credited within days.  In April 2019 when I rented I had to continue to chase my points down with calls and emails.  It took almost 4 months to finally get my credit.  I switched and started renting with Thrifty and the points were credited right away.  Unfortunately Thrifty's line was an hour wait and Alamo had no line for $10 more than what I was going to pay so I rented with Alamo in June 2020.  I was charged the frequent traveler fee and once again, no points!!  I'm back to chasing them again. 

Alamo told me the same thing in April 2019.  It's SW fault.  SW said it's Alamo's fault.  Since other car rentals have gone through within days, I'd say ALAMO is giving the runaround!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ilvanhalen wrote: I'd say ALAMO is giving the runaround!

I'd say you are correct.

I've had problems with various car companies in the past, and have had to bird dog them to get my points.

The car rental companies buy points  from Southwest. Then they tell the airline how many points to hand out to a customer. It really is that simple.

Since you apparently did this as a walk up, I presume you gave Alamo your RR number?