Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Multiple A-List Preferred Standy-by Priority

K9032406
Explorer C

Question: If multiple A-List Preferred members are waiting for a same-day standby position on a flight, how does Southwest determine who gets the spot? 

Do Companion pass holders jump to the top? Is it dollars spent YTD? # of flights taken?

I know it is not first come/first serve because I have been let on flights when I should have been #8 or #9. I am a-list preferred and a companion pass holder.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Multiple A-List Preferred Standy-by Priority

bec102896
Aviator A

Hi there I believe it is based on status and money spent so A List preferred higest to lowest spent then A List highest to lowest but I as an A List preferred member have never figured out how it is calculated exactly slthough I would like to know that myself and I am not sure if anytime members go before me or if I get on before them when I use the same day standby as well as business select members 

Happy travels! 

blake 

K9032406
Explorer C

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing but Ive always been curious. I just boarded a flight and there was only 1 standby seat open and I was last to arrive yet I got the flight. $’s spent make sense since I fly almost exclusively southwest nearly every week.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Southwest has never fully disclosed their boarding priority policies, but based on lots discussions people do seem to think within the A-List status group, A-List Preferred goes first and within that group, people that have purchased Business Select fares have priority, then Anytime fares, then Wanna Getaway. The same breakdown occurs within the regular A-List group after Preferred. It's a guessing game how it's prioritized within each fare class, but purchase date or overall money spent might be a factor. It's highly doubtful that just being a Companion Pass holder factors in as it's fairly easy to get CP without even flying. Also, while companions are not officially included in the A-List standby policy, agents do seem to make exceptions and allow them to travel standby which leads to thinking that the standby priority can also be controlled or adjusted by the agent. The old idea of being nice and smiling is probably still a very big factor.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I did see one article talking about flying in general that also suggested dressing up if you plan to ask for any favors.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeatwrote:

Southwest has never fully disclosed their boarding priority policies, but based on lots discussions people do seem to think within the A-List status group, A-List Preferred goes first and within that group, people that have purchased Business Select fares have priority, then Anytime fares, then Wanna Getaway. The same breakdown occurs within the regular A-List group after Preferred. It's a guessing game how it's prioritized within each fare class, but purchase date or overall money spent might be a factor. It's highly doubtful that just being a Companion Pass holder factors in as it's fairly easy to get CP without even flying. Also, while companions are not officially included in the A-List standby policy, agents do seem to make exceptions and allow them to travel standby which leads to thinking that the standby priority can also be controlled or adjusted by the agent. The old idea of being nice and smiling is probably still a very big factor.

One clarification that it is a two-step process where the flexibile tickets Business Select and Anytime would get first chance if seats were open to change immediately, only going on standby list if no seats were currently open.

Then for the standby list as described.

CP won't be a factor, and according to the terms the companion actually isn't included in same-day standby perk for A-listers. If there was an empty spot, you could get it anyway as companion with the new booking as long as you cleared before boarding. My limited experience is that they have tried to accomodate where possible, especially if there were plenty of seats open.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.