Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Multiple Credit Cards (Companion Pass Status)

ahard4810
Explorer C

I have a SW Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card that I've held for 3+ years, and am interested in applying for the Business Credit Card to take advantage of the 60K point bonus towards companion pass. However, there seems to be fine print indicating that the bonus will not be applied to users who already have an active SW credit card account. Can someone please confirm whether I would be able to apply for a business credit card account (which would be my 2nd SW card) and still obtain the bonus points assuming the spending threshold is met?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Multiple Credit Cards (Companion Pass Status)

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Re-read the fine print, but the wording used to be that you couldn't get the same credit card. So if you have a premier card, you'd have to vacate that for some period of time to reapply and get a bonus. But you could apply for business card or the other personal card I forget the name.

So probably yes on the business card, as long as you can substatiate a business and/or have the business co-sign. But read the current terms for yourself, things change.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

ParSWA
Adventurer B

Not sure if things have changed since August 2017, but back then my wife applied for, and received, an individual Chase SWA Visa ("Plus") and got the 60,000 points.

About a week following the approval of the card above, she then also applied for, and received, a business Chase SWA Visa ("Premier Business) and received another 60,000 points. We then immediately qualified for the Companion Pass which we received within 30 days.

So, in our experience, the answer your question is "yes". However, this could have changed so probably best to contact SWA. Sorry not to be able to be more specific to your situation.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ParSWA wrote:

Not sure if things have changed since August 2017...

So, in our experience, the answer your question is "yes". However, this could have changed so probably best to contact SWA. Sorry not to be able to be more specific to your situation.

It has definitely ben allowed in the past, I forgot the "Plus" as the other personal option in addition to "premier" but also business would be allowed.

Note to others that if you applied for two of these at about the same time, you'd have to hit the minimum spend on both so you might want to stagger depending on your purchasing plans.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

ParSWA
Adventurer B

Note to others that if you applied for two of these at about the same time, you'd have to hit the minimum spend on both so you might want to stagger depending on your purchasing plans.

Great point. I forgot about that critical detail.

TheExitRow
Explorer C

The terms of the bonus offer state that you are not qualified to receive the bonus if you have received it within the last 24 months. As you have not received the business bonus over this period, you should be eligible!

To add to the discussion regarding personal cards - you are only able to receive one introductory bonus within a 24 month period regardless of the product. That is to say that you can not (as of this month) apply for the "Premier" and "Plus" cards within a two year period and receive both bonus offers.

I_Luv_SJD
Explorer C

The fine print on the bonus offers under the Bonus Points paragraph is "This product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of this credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of this credit card who received a new Cardmember bonus for this credit card within the last 24 months." I received bonus points in November 2015 and February 2017 (15 months apart) for two different new Chase Southwest credit cards. Because it was for two different credit cards, it complies with the fine print.

ParSWA
Adventurer B

I thought I would also mention that if you have a business that's doing some reasonable revenue and has typical expenses, using the SWA business card and putting everything you can on it until you hit the annual spend to get the companion pass is a great way to go. Also, not only do you get points for every dollar you spend with the Visa card, for every $10,000 of spend placed on the SWA Premier card,  they also give you a bonus of 1,500 more points which actually go toward A-List status. Not to mention there's an annual bonus of either 3,000 or 6,000 points, depending on the SWA card(s) you have.

For us, thankfully that means we will likely qualify for the 2019 Companion Pass at about the end of this May. So, what we're also going to do is get the Chase Ink Business card this month. They are offering an 80,000 point sign up bonus. Plus, we do our business banking with Chase and our banker is giving us an additional 20,000 points -- for a crazy total of 100,000 points. You have to spend $5,000 on the card in the first 3 months, but the value of this is worth about $1,250 when redeemed for travel - or $1,000 when redeemed for cash. You can also transfer points to SWA on a 1:1 basis. They've also got some other nice perks like free cell phone insurance which will save our business about $1,800 a year right now (instead of paying about $11 per-month, per-phone), primary rental car insurance, 120 day purchase protection, + more. The annual fee is $95.

All that to say, if you have a business and manage your money reasonably well, these are exceptional deals. I should mention, however, this is all predicated upon you fully paying off your credit card each month -- so if you're not going to do that, forget about this program... all bets are off. However, if you do pay your Visa bill(s) in full each month a couple days before they are due, it means that you're effectively floating the bank's money for 30-60 days. How often do we get to stick it to the bank like that?

Ps. I promise I get nothing from Chase for sharing this information. I just realized that I could be sounding a bit like a shill for them 😉