Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

New CC Holder

brocamphil
Explorer C

Greetings SW Community 🙂

My husband and I applied and were approved for the RR Visa.

We applied with him as the primary card holder. Every time he has flown SW, I have booked us under my existing RR#, and never created a profile for him. Will SW designate a new RR for him? OR can we link the card to my already existing SW/RR account?

In regard to the Companion pass, will this feature only be accessible to him? OR will I be able to benefit from that too? I am taking a trip to Scottsdale in October and would like to take my mom as a companion and save her a few bucks!

Thanks for your time! Hope to hear from you all soon 🙂

-body's in MSY, heart's in MCO

3 REPLIES 3

Re: New CC Holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@brocamphil wrote:

Greetings SW Community 🙂

My husband and I applied and were approved for the RR Visa.

We applied with him as the primary card holder. Every time he has flown SW, I have booked us under my existing RR#, and never created a profile for him. Will SW designate a new RR for him? OR can we link the card to my already existing SW/RR account?

In regard to the Companion pass, will this feature only be accessible to him? OR will I be able to benefit from that too? I am taking a trip to Scottsdale in October and would like to take my mom as a companion and save her a few bucks!

I believe it is possible to assign the credit card to either of your RR# - if he signed up without listing one then one would be created for him and it might be a done deal.

Otherwise if you have the opportunity to list a RR# then you can list yours. He should still have one made later though as described below to get credit for his own flights.

Each person would need to have their own RR# to earn credit for flying. So currently when you made a booking you earned credit for your own flight, but your husband's flight would have not earned you any credit. After he makes a RR# he can go to his account, go to the Rapid Rewards heading, and then scroll down to "Request Past Flight Credits" to claim the credit for his previous flights (if he never had a RR# of his own).

Whoever ends up listed as the RR# on the credit card will end up being the companion pass holder if you get a big bonus of points from the credit card, or from the future spending. 

Even if your husband is listed as primary cardholder financially, if it is linked to your RR# then it will be you that is the CP holder based on any bonus/spend. 

Nothing prevents him from also earning CP through flights though of course, or other points bonuses, future sign-ups for additional credit cards, etc.

If you end up as the CP holder, it won't be transferrable to him even though he's primary cardholder, the financial arrangements are immaterial to Rapid Rewards status.

@brocamphil wrote:

-body's in MSY, heart's in MCO

At least your body can get some tasty food while you are in MSY!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The primary cardholder's name must match the name on the RR account where points from credit card spend will go. If the name on RR account provided on the application does not match a new RR is setup for the primary cardholder. All benefits such as CP and points earned go to the primary cardholder. There is no joint ownership of credit card accounts, just authorized users.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat

--TheMiddleSeat

I found it - it does say primary cardholder's account. Someone had mentioned doing this before with a spouse's account but that's either been changed, or was incorrect. 

SOUTHWEST® RAPID REWARDS® PROGRAM INFORMATION
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card is brought to you by Southwest Airlines® and Chase. Southwest Airlines is responsible for the redemption of Rapid Rewards points toward benefits and services. The number of points needed for a particular Southwest flight is set by Southwest and will vary depending on destination, time, day of travel, demand, fare type, point redemption rate, and other factors, and are subject to change at any time until the booking is confirmed. Rapid Rewards points can only be transferred to the primary Cardmember's Rapid Rewards account. All Rapid Rewards rules and regulations apply and can be found at Opens OverlaySouthwest.com/rrterms.

@TheMiddleSeat
Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.