Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

New Rapid Reward CC Companion Pass Confusion

fridarocks323
Explorer C

Hello,

I used received my RR cc today but am unsure if I should begin using it yet or not. I am trying to earn the companion pass and trying to start earning points towards it. My closing date is scheduled for the 28th of this month. If I start using my cc now to use Christmas presents and my closing period is on the 28th, will my points post in January 2021. I'm so confused with how this works so I hope my question is clear. Thanks in advance for any help I might receive. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: New Rapid Reward CC Companion Pass Confusion

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

A December 28 closing date may end up with points posting in 2021, it just depends how quickly after closing the points post.  You can certainly use the card and earn points, they may just not count towards 2022 companion pass like you want them to.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

In all cases, anything that completes in 2021  (hotels, rent cars, retail purchases, credit card statements, etc),  will earn 2021 points regardless of when the points are actually added to your account.

Edit add: There is apparently one exception to that rule: Rewards for opinions. 

So points earned on your 12/28 statement will be 2021 points

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

With credit card points they post to the account a couple days after statement close.  The date they post to the account is what matters, not the actual statement date.  December 2021 purchases and even a December 2021 statement date can count to 2022 CP if the points post in January.

From southwest.com:

"Points earned through spending using the Rapid Rewards Credit Card will count toward Companion Pass qualification based on when they are posted to your Rapid Rewards account and NOT based on spending date. The points post to your Rapid Rewards account after your statement closing date."

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

Note there are lots of ways to earn points that are current year qualifying even though those ways may not result in points actually being posted to your account until as much as 8 weeks into the new year.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/What-Counts-Toward-Tier-Status/ta-p/83739

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Note there are lots of ways to earn points that are current year qualifying even though those ways may not result in points actually being posted to your account until as much as 8 weeks into the new year.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/What-Counts-Toward-Tier-Status/ta-p/83739

Just to clarify - spending may count to 2021 earning towards a 2022 CP, but might be awarded retroactively after 2022 has already started. 

So you might not have CP to start the year off but would have it soon if that spending put you over the top.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.