Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Not quite companion status

Vincev33
Explorer C

I currently have companion status through the end of 2016. I am close to earning it for 2017 as well.  We are planning a family trip in January and I want to book the fights soon.  Can I book using points now and then switch to companion as soo as I earn status for next year? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Not quite companion status

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

There isn't a change fee, so I'd say go ahead and use your points as a backup now, espcially if there are some geat fares. You can get your points back if/when the companion pass comes through.

Companion pass can be added as long as there are seats available on the flight. You wouldn't be "converting" the reservation per se, but would book companion first, then cancel the points reservation and the points are returned to your account.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Crafty_Clint
Explorer C

Just be sure to cancel the flights booked with points first. You will have $5.60 per flight per person in travel credit that can be applied to the government fee for booking flights with Companion Pass.

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

Just something to remember.  When you cancel a companion reservation you have the choice of the $5.60 to be refunded back to your cerdit card of a credit for future use.