Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Payless Car Rental Rip-Off!

LMac
Explorer C

I recently booked a car with Payless Car Rental in San Diego. Normally,  I book with Budget but thought I'd give Payless a try, how bad could it be if they are a Southwest Partner?   Well, upon arrival, I learned that if I wanted a car with electric window operation, it would cost me approximately $259 more for my four day trip!  In this day and age, it never even occurred to me that a rental company would have cars with manual window operation!  The fast talking clerk was acting like he was giving me quite a deal, huh?  

Stay far away from Payless Car Rental and from the reading the reviews, it appears Southwest should stay away from having them participate as a partner.  I'm telling EVERYONE so they don't make the same mistake.  Shame on you both! 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Payless Car Rental Rip-Off!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Companies "partner" together because they make money, not because they love each other. Southwest Vacations is another example of Southwest Airlines doing business with a horrible company. I don't blame Southwest Airlines because I understand they aren't vetting companies, they are just making money on the sales.

It took me several horrible car rental experiences with various other companies to decide to solely rent with Hertz. Sadly, I think that's the way we all learn. 

--TheMiddleSeat

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

I am sorry to hear about your experience, but booking direct and being a member of the company's loyalty club almost always yields better results and a smoother customer experience.

Safe Travels

BTW- With a name like "Payless" I wouldn't ever expect to "Get more."  As a rule if you, "payless you get less"

jeremynix
Explorer C

Was the agents name Nathan? 

some advice:

Payless is owned by the Avis Budget Group. They ripped me off this week as well. You need to send your complaint all the way to the top in order to get them to take any action. 

Here is where I sent my complaints:

Jean.Sera@avisbudget.com
Robert.Muhs@avisbudget.com
SOPLegalHQ@avisbudget.com
corporate.compliance@avisbudget.com
joe.ferraro@avisbudget.com

Joe Ferraro is the CEO and his executive office responded to my complaint pretty quick. The corporate compliance email up there responded to me within 20 minutes. 

make sure you cc: management@sdpayless.com. So they are aware that you’re taking it up the chain. That’s how I got all my money back. 

And I agree with you Southwest should not be partnering with these straight up crooks. Never rent from these jerks again. 

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Really?????

You're  upset because your car had crank handles instead of power windows?  Poor boy....

BTW Both Hertz and Avis have rented me cars with crank handles.

Why didn't you just tell Payless that you wanted a different car...?  They would have given you one.

colaurado
Explorer C

Thank you, jeremynix. The contact list you provided was very helpful. I, too, had a poor experience with Payless Car Rental (completely different issue) and you saved me some time. Appreciate it!

floridaguy
Aviator C

I had an experience with Budget where even though I had a reservation, they sold the vehicle to someone else.  Left me stranded at night with no vehicle.

Even through Avis Budget Group reimbursed me for what I spend in addition to their vehicle's original price, I am working on a lawsuit naming Avis Budget Group, their CEO and AARP as defendants.

I'll let you know how it goes.  I am asking for an additional $1,000 for disruption of my trip.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Curious why sue a non-profit organization, (the AARP is a 501.(c)(4))?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@parpitt1 wrote:

Curious why sue a non-profit organization, (the AARP is a 501.(c)(4))?

lol, if you've read any of his other nonsense you'd know legal matters are not his area of expertise.

--TheMiddleSeat

Mizwalker93
Explorer C

Just had this happen to me today. Last time I book with them!