Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Planned a 2-flight mileage run for A-list qualifying this week but now there are no flights to book

Geefer1210
Explorer A

Hi everyone, I’m new to the SWA community and looking for some seasoned help. I am short of A-list qualified for next year by 2 flights or 7,237 points. 
I planned to book a mileage run this week to get my 2 flights in but since SWA has made all flights unavailable through the end of the year I’m stuck. 

Does anyone know if SWA would credit me the final 2 flights I need since there are no flights available to book? Is there any precedent of this happening in years past? 
OR any other strategies I can adopt to lock in my a-list status for next year? 

TIA for your help! 

25 REPLIES 25

Re: Planned a 2-flight mileage run for A-list qualifying this week but now there are no flights to b

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'm sure you are not alone.

Southwest has allowed "amnesty" occasionally in the past, but you really can't count on it happening.

Since people cancel/change flights all the time, I'd suggest keeping a low fare calendar window open and refresh it periodically in case a flight does open up.

I am not aware of any other options. Sorry.

Re: Planned a 2-flight mileage run for A-list qualifying this week but now there are no flights to b

Geefer1210
Explorer A

Thanks @dfwskier. unfortunately SWA pulled all flights offline so you can’t book anything through the end of the year right now. I actually spent an hour on the phone trying to get through to confirm what was happening and the agent I spoke with affirmed that they are not flying/booking at all this week because of the weather mess. That sounds insane to me but I’m no expert so I have no reason to think this SWA agent was making this up. If you open the low fare calendar or try to book anything for this week all flights from/to every city I tried show unavailable through the end of the year. 

thanks again @dfwskier 

Geefer1210
Explorer A

Yeah I really hope they would extend the qualifying window or comp the gap for those of us who are so close, but I know they don’t have to. 
I know you can buy the difference in points for at least A-list but it’s stupid expensive

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Geefer1210 wrote:

Hi everyone, I’m new to the SWA community and looking for some seasoned help. I am short of A-list qualified for next year by 2 flights or 7,237 points. 
I planned to book a mileage run this week to get my 2 flights in but since SWA has made all flights unavailable through the end of the year I’m stuck. 

Does anyone know if SWA would credit me the final 2 flights I need since there are no flights available to book? Is there any precedent of this happening in years past? 
OR any other strategies I can adopt to lock in my a-list status for next year? 

TIA for your help! 

What's your local airport? You might have luck getting on a flight if you can go there and be ready on short notice. I'm not so sure about getting back from wherever you go though.

There have been a few operational problems in the past but nothing of this magnitude and poor timing for holiday + EOY points. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

I think some flights are available on the 31st if you do a same day return flight it will be costly. 

oh better yet several of my family members got an email last week offering them the chance to buy the remains TQP needed to reach A List you might check your email for that offer 

bec102896
Aviator A

2756AA84-40CA-4535-9F95-E8B444EBF5B6.png

Here was the message I got 

search email for subject line: Hurry, you can still get A-List in 2023!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

2756AA84-40CA-4535-9F95-E8B444EBF5B6.png

Here was the message I got 

search email for subject line: Hurry, you can still get A-List in 2023!

I don't think I got this offer. What would ALP be worth? I'm close, but not that close. 

1,000 points is no-brainer, 7,500 points is going to be too much. But I do have one more flight (in theory) so I don't have to buy the whole gap, just part of it.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Geefer1210
Explorer A

@bec102896 Thanks for sharing this, i got this email too and last night I was revisiting it, but $875 for the points I need seemed way more than if I just bought upgraded boarding for all my flights next year. I love the dedicated a-list option for the phones and the fly by but I could also get pre-check for free with a new credit card. I’m crazy loyal to SWA and would prefer to just get a-list but i have a hard time justifying $875 for the sake of status ya know? 
@DancingDavidE that’s an inventive suggestion to just hang at the airport. Unfortunately i have a 5yo who has to come with me and he wouldn’t be so keen on that for more than an hour or two. Plus with him I need to ensure we can get the return flight (he’s my companion so he always flies with me). Thanks for the suggestion though, and I agree the purchase option for points is way overpriced if you need more than a 1k-ish.

jazzpilot56
Adventurer B

I'm in a similar situation, but to renew my Companion Pass. I have 121,500 points and need 3,500 more to get to the required 125,000 points. I'd booked Business Select travel from OH to FL this week which would have easily put me over the required points. That trip was canceled, but I was able to book another 2-day trip just before New Years Eve. Unfortunately, that trip was canceled too. And like, you, I was told all Southwest flights have been canceled until the 1st. That said, I was able to rebook my flights without penalty to Jan. 13th, same confirmation number. Obviously, I'm hoping Southwest will apply those rescheduled flight points to 2022 and renew my Companion Pass. I understand there are no guarantees, but at the same time these are unusual circumstances. I emailed customer service and am anxiously awaiting word to see if my request will be honored. I know they've extended the deadline in the past (a couple years ago it was extended to 2/28 of that year); so hopefully they'll make a similar accommodation this year. In the meantime, I appreciate everything Southwest is doing to get their operations fully back online, and am thankful they're prioritizing safety over schedule.

- Will (where there's a will there's a way)