Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Points earned prior to upcoming expiration date have not posted yet, will I lose my points?

JStarbux
Explorer C

Hello,

I purchased Flowers through a SouthWest Partner to earn points prior to my expiration date which is July 9th , 2017. The purchase has already been credited from my credit card and the flowers have already been delivered; however my points have not been earned on my account yet. When I was making the purchase, it said my points may not appear for 2 weeks on my account which will be after my expiration date of my points. 

Will my points actually expire or will they un-expire once the points finally post to my account? I have 4 days to make sure I don't lose these points but feel no more action is necessary based on my Flower purchase. Please confirm what will happen. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Points earned prior to upcoming expiration date have not posted yet, will I lose my points?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Points from partners can sometimes take a long time to post. If they don't post prior to your expiration date, your account will go dormant, and your existing points will be forfeited.

The quickest way to get points posted (other than travel) is to buy points -- those generally post very quickly, and they qualify as a "point earning activity" to keep your account active.

Re: Points earned prior to upcoming expiration date have not posted yet, will I lose my points?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Based on past experience and reading about other people's experiences, points for flower purchases usually post pretty quickly (couple of days after delivery), but they often don't post at all due to some rule technicality the seller has. People have had luck calling the seller to ensure their purchase qualified and points are actually going to post. I would not count on your points being reactivated so you need to ensure some points post before your expiration date.

It wouldn't hurt to seek points from another method too, just to give yourself a backup plan. Points from the dining program tend to post quickly too and buying a drink at a fast food restaurant can be enough to save your points from expiring.