Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Points for car rentals

korsborn
Explorer C

Just wanted to voice my frustration at southwest for misleading customers to think they will get points for car rentals in alaska. You can book the car on their website but the points won't be credited because the avis/budget locations in alaska don't participate with southwest. I have spent hours calling and sending in all the required documentation when I should have automatically been credited the 600 points. This is a scam and i'm sure southwest is getting credit in some way since I booked the car on their website but they can't seem to fix this even when they are in the wrong.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Points for car rentals

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry you are frustrated by the situation.

That being said, Southwest is not misleading you, but AVIS might be.

The terms are as follows: "From now through January 31, 2020 you can earn up to 2,400 Rapid Rewards Points and save up to 35% on qualifying Avis rentals. This offer is valid on all car groups at any participating Avis airport location in the United States." .   It's there in writing.

Southwest doesn't determine whether or not an airport locations is "participating." Avis does that.

I think you can be pretty sure that any airport used by the airline would be "participating," Beyond that, it'd be up to you to verify whether or not it is. Some rent car companies grant points regardless of airport. Others don't. Apparently Avis does not.

You might be able to get Avis to grant points to another airline's frequent flyer program you are enrolled in. It'd probably have to be of an airline that flys into the Alaska airport you used.

Re: Points for car rentals

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Sorry you are frustrated by the situation.

That being said, Southwest is not misleading you, but AVIS might be.

The terms are as follows: "From now through January 31, 2020 you can earn up to 2,400 Rapid Rewards Points and save up to 35% on qualifying Avis rentals. This offer is valid on all car groups at any participating Avis airport location in the United States." .   It's there in writing.

Southwest doesn't determine whether or not an airport locations is "participating." Avis does that.

I think you can be pretty sure that any airport used by the airline would be "participating," Beyond that, it'd be up to you to verify whether or not it is. Some rent car companies grant points regardless of airport. Others don't. Apparently Avis does not.

You might be able to get Avis to grant points to another airline's frequent flyer program you are enrolled in. It'd probably have to be of an airline that flys into the Alaska airport you used.

Was there any line item on your car rental bill associated with points programs?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.