Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Points not adding up

njones817
Explorer C

I have earn over 50,000 points this year but when I look at my points under the A-list preferred it only shows half of the points.  I tried calling and I just keep getting told half the point go to A-list preferred and half go to companion.  Why is this? Seems to me like they are making it harder to keep your status.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Points not adding up

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Depending on how you earned the points, they may only count towards A-List qualification (tier qualifying points) or Companion Pass (CP qualifying points).  Points earned from flying can count towards both, points earned from a Southwest credit card mostly count only towards CP.  When looking at your points activity you can filter by point type to see what points qualified for.

--TheMiddleSeat

njones817
Explorer C

They are points from flights so they should count towards both not spit into 2 different buckets. I flew last week and earned 10,000 points they put half the points into A-list Preferred and half in Companion  bucket that makes no sense.  So now it like I have to travel double just to make A-list preferred again.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Without actually seeing your activity it's not very easy to help explain what you are seeing.  One would also need to know the fare price and your current status level to determine the correct points.  I suspect there is a very logical explanation.  

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Without actually seeing your activity it's not very easy to help explain what you are seeing.  One would also need to know the fare price and your current status level to determine the correct points.  I suspect there is a very logical explanation.  

--TheMiddleSeat

@njones817 are you seeing the CP points including A-list or A-list preferred bonus while the A-list points are only the base points?

There must be another explanation for what you are seeing, there isn't any provision for tier qualifying points to go into multiple buckets. 

However if you for instance earned 5,000 points from flights into the A-list Tier Qualifying points then you would see 10,000 points in companion pass and in your "actual" points vault that are redeemable.

All three of these categories are somewhat independent - the Tier Qualifying is only from flights with a few exceptions, the CP qualification includes partner points like credit card spending, etc. And then your actual points balance can be replenished and depleted independently of the first two as you use the point or earn them it changes, meanwhile the TQP and CP points only accrue all year. (Whether you use points up or not.)

You'll probably have to show us an excerpt from your recent month's earning to get better feedback on what may be happening.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@njones817 wrote:

They are points from flights  ...  they put half the points into A-list Preferred and half in Companion  bucket  

So an IDENTICAL number of points appeared as A-List and CP ??

That is exactly what one would expect to happen as the earned points qualify equally for both programs

njones817
Explorer C

No I have added up my points earned in 2023 and it’s over 50,000 my points in A List Preferred is 25000 and my point in CP are 25000.  I should have 50,000 in each bucket.  They should not be divided in half.  When I call they keep saying they have always been spit in half and that is not true so have never had this issue before.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@njones817 wrote:

No I have added up my points earned in 2023 and it’s over 50,000 my points in A List Preferred is 25000 and my point in CP are 25000.  I should have 50,000 in each bucket.  They should not be divided in half.  When I call they keep saying they have always been spit in half and that is not true so have never had this issue before.

IMO Southwest is properly giving you 25,000 A-List points and 25,000 CP points. There is no dividing points in half. You are misunderstanding something.

The question is why are you thinking you earned 50,000 points while the airline thinks you earned 25,000.

I suggest that you look at Rapid Rewards points earned in 2023.  You can see them item by item in your account. Add 'em up and get back to us.

PettyIntrigues
Adventurer A

I’ve had an open case number with Southwest for about a month now with a very similar issue. My flown points have not been properly deposited. I noticed in early February the levels were not what they should be so I crunched the numbers and called the airline and the employee was like, “Hmmm. Yeah. We’re gonna look into this.” I honestly don’t know why it hasn’t been resolved yet but I’m giving them another week or so given this is an issue that affects 2024 status, but still: frustrating and concerning.

Carpeng
Explorer C

Hi everyone. I thought this was happening to me too but just figured out what I was missing. Maybe this will help some of you. 

Example:

Base Fare $196.53

Business Select multiplier of 12pts/$

= 2,358 points into my A-List qualifying bank

= 2,358 points into my Companion Pass bank

AND because I’m currently A-List preferred I get the 100% bonus, so I get 2,358 x 2 = 4,716 deposited into my Rapid Rewards bank

So, I thought they were splitting my points too but I just was not accustomed to getting the 100% extra in RR due to current preferred status.