Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Points towards companion pass - booking hotels on southwest.com

GoIrish67
Explorer C

quick question (should be obvious but want to confirm).    If i book a hotel on Southwest.com and it tells me that Rapid Rewards members earn 10,000 points, do those 10,000 points count towards companion pass?   

What confused me is the rules say "partner base points" count towards companion pass, but "Partner bonus points" do not.  what is the difference?

thanks

1 REPLY 1

Re: Points towards companion pass - booking hotels on southwest.com

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@GoIrish67 wrote:

quick question (should be obvious but want to confirm).    If i book a hotel on Southwest.com and it tells me that Rapid Rewards members earn 10,000 points, do those 10,000 points count towards companion pass?   

What confused me is the rules say "partner base points" count towards companion pass, but "Partner bonus points" do not.  what is the difference?

thanks

Technically, the rule is as you've noted: Base points count, bonus points do not.

With most partners it's pretty clear -- on rental cars for example, the base 600 will count but any special offer (extra 1000, or 2x multiplier, etc.) will not.

When you use the Southwest website to book a hotel (via Booking.com) it's a bit harder to tell what is base and what is bonus.

The good news is that, currently, people are reporting that all points earned from Southwest website hotel bookings are counting as Companion Pass Qualifying. 

It's unclear if that's inadvertant and/or if that will change at any point.