Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Points use question

rich1954
Adventurer A

Why can I buy a ticket for someone using my points, but if I want to give my points to the same person SW charges a fee. Am I missing something here?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Points use question

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

There is a cost (fee) to transfer points to my knowledge this is the case on all airlines even those where you can use your points on others. 

Personally the only reason I would transfer points is if I was very close to a reward seat because otherwise if you pay more than $30-$50 to transfer points you may be better off just buying the ticket with cash. 

-Blake

dfwskier
Aviator A

@rich1954 wrote:

Why can I buy a ticket for someone using my points, but if I want to give my points to the same person SW charges a fee. Am I missing something here?

It's just the rules. If you don't want to pay the fee, just buy a ticket for the other person.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest contracts with Points. com to manage their Rapid Rewards points sales, transfer, and gifting functions. As a 3rd party, they collect various fees for their services. As mentioned earlier, you can avoid those fees by using your points to purchase flights for anyone else.

gsking
Aviator C

Buying a ticket for someone implies a personal relationship.  But giving someone points could also mean selling them points.

Allowing people to sell points completely changes the business case for rewarding frequent fliers and merely turns it into an easily monetized 10% rebate on every flight.   Instead of promoting more flights, they just lose revenue.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I must be lost?  I've used points to book my son and daughter-in-law tickets to Hawaii?  I think the only thing I paid was like a processing fee, 5 dollars or something, much like what I pay when I do my companion pass.   Am I mistaken?  

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

I must be lost?  I've used points to book my son and daughter-in-law tickets to Hawaii?  I think the only thing I paid was like a processing fee, 5 dollars or something, much like what I pay when I do my companion pass.   Am I mistaken?  

You have it right. When you are not paying money for a ticket, then all of the taxes and fees normally paid as part of a t "paid" ticket, except the $5.60 TSA fee, do not apply.