Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Shacka1
Explorer A

Hello!

I wanted to know how long I can rack up my points without them expiring.  I've read mixed answers and want to save them up for an expensive trip.  We fly at least twice a year so there is always activity

Thank you!!!!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Points

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Points themselves don't have expiration dates attached, but in order to keep your Rapid Rewards account active and avoid expiration of all earned points, you need to have point-earning activity at least once each 24 months. Point-earning activity includes points from paid air travel, or partner activity. Even buying points counts. Basically anything that causes points to be added to your account. (Spending points does not.)

Shacka1
Explorer A

Thank you so much, that is very helpful!!!!

mizellen2
Explorer C

I saw a notice that says that points expire at the end of each year.  Is that true?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@mizellen2 wrote:

I saw a notice that says that points expire at the end of each year.  Is that true?

Tier qualifying for A-list and companion pass resets each calendar year, everyone starts from scratch on January 1st towards their renewals.

Rapid Rewards points that you earn and keep or use to redeem for flights don't expire.*

*they do expire if you have no earning activity for two years!

When you login to your account it will say right under your login when your last activity was.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

franktravel
Aviator B

There are many ways other then flying to earn reward points to keep your account active.

1, Use Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping
2, Use Southwest Rewards Dining
3, Do on line free surveys @ e-rewards and eMiles

Re: Points expire

Ep92903
Explorer C

Forget the points, they zeroed mine about 70,000.

Originally they never expire. They now zero them after 24 months. They will say they notify before zeroing, however that’s not the case. The last two years I have not traveled. The 4 to 5 years before I held 3 companion passes ( only used once) the paperwork from that time period states that the points never expire. I suggest contacting your state attorney general if you have been zeroed. I am looking to see if any class action suits have been filed. At best it’s false advertising. Must likely they changed policy and are hoping people don’t file. I do have 6 techs working for me that will stop company paid air travel with southwest by Friday.

i will let them know to use their points ASAP.

its ashame SW has decided this course I know it’s a new generation with different values. My generation just calls it  theft.

good luck to all

Re: Points expire

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Ep92903 wrote:

Forget the points, they zeroed mine about 70,000.

Originally they never expire. They now zero them after 24 months. They will say they notify before zeroing, however that’s not the case. The last two years I have not traveled. The 4 to 5 years before I held 3 companion passes ( only used once) the paperwork from that time period states that the points never expire. I suggest contacting your state attorney general if you have been zeroed. I am looking to see if any class action suits have been filed. At best it’s false advertising. Must likely they changed policy and are hoping people don’t file. I do have 6 techs working for me that will stop company paid air travel with southwest by Friday.

i will let them know to use their points ASAP.

its ashame SW has decided this course I know it’s a new generation with different values. My generation just calls it  theft.

good luck to all

Actually, Southwest has had the same policy for as long as they've had a points-based program (since 2011). It's confusing, because they do advertise that "Points don't expire*," but always with the disclosure "*Points don't expire as long as you have flight-earning or partner-earning activity at least once every 24 months." I agree that it's misleading, but the terms and conditions are ultimately very clear. And because of that any attempted lawsuit or other action would be futile.

Now more than ever it's very important to fully read and understand the terms and conditions of every financial agreement you enter into. I'm not sure it's a "new generation," but it is true that moreso than ever, companies are driven primarily by the bottom line.

It's unfortunate you didn't receive notification, as there are many ways to keep your points from expiring that do not require paid travel. Non-notification is a common complaint. Southwest says they send an email, but it's possible that people who haven't accessed their account in two years also might not have kept current their associated email account.

In general, Southwest doesn't reinstate forfeited points unless you have had point-earning activity in the past 6 months that wasn't credited to your account (and can show proof).  That said, it's been reported elsewhere that some customers have had luck getting their points back by emailing (or writing) Gary Kelly, the CEO directly. If you take that approach you'll need to google his contact info. Southwest doesn't publicly share that.

Good luck.