Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Possible to purchase points with travel voucher funds?

superkimchi
Explorer C

Hello!

It looks like I have some travel funds that are about to expire in a couple of days and I don't have time to take a last minute trip.  Is it possible to purchase points with travel funds?

-- Nick

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Possible to purchase points with travel voucher funds?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

No, travel funds can only be used towards flying. 

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@superkimchi wrote:

Hello!

It looks like I have some travel funds 

-- Nick

That seems to say you have more than one. If so, combine several of them and buy a ticket.

Then cancel that ticket.

You'll get one travel fund that, after expiration, you'll be able to convert to a voucher for a $100 fee. Each travel fund conversion carries a $100 fee - so converting several into one saves $100 fees.

You can do so for up to 6 months after the expiry date, and the resultant voucher is good for 6 months. Sooo, if you wait til 5 months after expiry to do this, you'll be able to use the funds for up to 11 months (12 if you really want to push it) of the original expiry date.

kjchesney
Explorer C

Do you combine the travel funds before the oldest expires?  And then you have 6 months from the date that the oldest expiration date to convert to a LUV voucher?  Can you combine more than two travel funds for one traveler?  TIA!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Do you combine the travel funds before the oldest expires?

You cannot combine an expired travel fund so you must combine before expiration. 

And then you have 6 months from the date that the oldest expiration date to convert to a LUV voucher?

You have 6 months from expiration to request the conversion to voucher. 

Can you combine more than two travel funds for one traveler?

Yes, combine as many as you want.

--TheMiddleSeat