Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Priority credit card 7500 points post date

Southwestccnew
Explorer C

Hi,

Im thinking of getting the Southwest priority credit card with $149 annual fee. When do the 7500 anniversary points post - is it beginning of the year or at the end?

So if I opened an account in Jan 2023 and my anniversary is Jan 2024, will my 7500 points post before the $149 annual fee is charged for the *second* year in ~Jan 2024?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Priority credit card 7500 points post date

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

The bonus points will post after one year, Jan 2024, at the same time or shortly after the annual fee posts for the second time. I feel like you're asking if you can get the points without paying the annual fee? If so, just wait until the fee posts and the points post and call Chase and close the account and request a refund of the annual fee if that's what you want. You have 30 days after the annual fee posts to request a refund.

Between the annual $75 travel credit and the 4 upgraded boardings the card easily pays for itself and trying to game the system for a few more points isn't something I'd bother with. Perhaps closing and reapplying after 2 years as part of a strategy to earn and reearn Companion Pass, but not just for the 7500 points.

--TheMiddleSeat

Southwestccnew
Explorer C

Thanks for your quick and detailed response TheMiddleSeat. 

Well I understood that the $149 annual fee has main cash benefits of 7500 points and $75 travel credit.

But if the 7500 points post in the second year only, then the first year benefits are $75 travel credit only (and upgraded boardings and any credit card bonus etc)

Thanks

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I see your perspective, I do think you can get the fee refunded and keep the points so it still basically counts as coming in during the first year. 

I just paid $40 for an upgraded boarding so 4 of those is $160 alone without anything else. Obviously it's your decision, hopefully you have all the info to make a decision.

--TheMiddleSeat

Southwestccnew
Explorer C

Thanks  yes I do have enough info to make the decision. Appreciate your help and Happy Holidays!