Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Problem with lost gift card

APettes
Explorer C

Southwest should not have a heart at the end of it's name, because Southwest is heartless.  I purchased $200 of Omaha Steak gift cards to give each of my kids $100 worth (4- $50 certificates is what was sent).  My son accidentally threw his away with the Christmas cards and Southwest refuses to replace them.  I provided them with the certificate #'s of my daughters gift certificates and my order number, but they tell me they don't keep any record of what they send out.  Seems unbelievable to me.  There should be someway to replace an unused gift certificate.  I cannot have been the only one who has ever experienced this misfortune.  Does Southwest cash in on unclaimed gift cards ? - seems so.  They got my $100 and my son's Christmas gift.  Again - no heart for Southwest in my opinion.  

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Problem with lost gift card

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

All over the internet I have frequently seen the statement, "treat gift cards like cash" and lots of companies state that gift cards will not be replaced if lost or stolen.  It should also be noted that when you redeem Southwest Rapid Rewards points for gift cards you are not actually working with Southwest, instead you are working with a company called More Rewards.  Contacting Southwest directly isn't going to do you any good.  In this case since the error was completely yours it's doubtful you'll have any luck no matter who you talk to.  Painful way to learn a lesson, but that's about all you can do in this situation.

More Rewards Contact & FAQs 

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@APettes wrote:

Southwest should not have a heart at the end of it's name, because Southwest is heartless.  I purchased $200 of Omaha Steak gift cards to give each of my kids $100 worth (4- $50 certificates is what was sent).  My son accidentally threw his away with the Christmas cards and Southwest refuses to replace them.  I provided them with the certificate #'s of my daughters gift certificates and my order number, but they tell me they don't keep any record of what they send out.  Seems unbelievable to me.  There should be someway to replace an unused gift certificate.  I cannot have been the only one who has ever experienced this misfortune.  Does Southwest cash in on unclaimed gift cards ? - seems so.  They got my $100 and my son's Christmas gift.  Again - no heart for Southwest in my opinion.  

Southwest does not sell Omaha Steak  gift cards. It only sells Southwest Airlines gift cards. There is no way to buy Omaha Steak gift cards for $$$ thru anything on the Southwest website.

If  you bought Omaha Steak  with RR points, then you bought them from More Rewards - a company that Southwest allows to use the Southwest website. Here's more about that company

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/More-Rewards-Contact-amp-FAQs/ta-p/108878 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I wonder why a company would have a policy that it will not replace "lost' gift cards?

Hmmm, lemme think.

I got it.

I bet that some people would claim cards are lost when they really are not. That way they could double the value of the card simply by fibbing about the loss.

bec102896
Aviator A

I once threw out a $100 winning lottery ticket on accident the lottery company didn't replace the ticket just because oops I made a mistake. All that can be done is to learn from our mistakes and next time be careful and double check things before we throw them out especially during the holidays. 

I'm sorry the gift card was thrown out but as already stated almost every gift card I have received in life has a line saying this gift card is not replaceable or X company is not responsible for lost/stolen cards. Personally with gift cards I would only get them directly from the company that way in case something happened maybe I'd have a chance of help. 

-Blake