Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Promotional Companion Pass extension

jskip5775
Explorer C

Southwest offered a promotional Companion Pass in Q4 2020. Expiration date of 2/28/2021.  Has there been any indication these will be extended? Covid spiked in December and thought best not to travel.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Promotional Companion Pass extension

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The whole idea was to reward those that were willing to take one flight DURING the pandemic with a companion pass for 2 months DURING the pandemic.  My money would be on Southwest offering the same promotion with new dates instead of extending, although I bet both situation are highly unlikely.

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

The whole idea was to reward those that were willing to take one flight DURING the pandemic with a companion pass for 2 months DURING the pandemic.  My money would be on Southwest offering the same promotion with new dates instead of extending, although I bet both situation are highly unlikely.

--TheMiddleSeat

They did -- but with a catch. 😉

It was targeted to business accounts. The following showed up in my account under "Promotions," presumably because I have a Chase Rapid Rewards Business credit card.

(FYI: While targeted, it was confirmed by a Southwest rep on another forum that as long as you were targeted and then registered, the bookings could be made through any channel.)

And, yes. It's very unlikely the first promo CP period would be extended.

Fly your way to a promotional Companion Pass® with this exclusive offer, and you’ll be able to bring somebody for free* every time you fly during 3/1–6/30/2021.

How it works:
• Register for this promotion.
• Through your company’s travel program, book two qualifying round trip Southwest® flights for dates within January 18 to February 28, 2021.
• After you fly those trips, your Companion can fly free* with you every time you fly from March 1 to June 30, 2021**.

gsking
Aviator C

That's interesting that they offered the CP for business travel, to those with the credit card. 

I got a 5000pt offer for flying 4 flights through work.   Obviously most work travel is dead...hurting SWA quite a bit. 

But then a similar offer showed up without the work restriction.   So it's possible they may come through with another CP promo for the rest of us. 

Not sure I can afford it, though.   We used ours for Maui, Vegas, Colorado, and Cancun so far... the weather down here is fabulous.   One more trip to Phoenix before it expires... the kids are almost getting sick of all the travel... no pun intended. 

gsking
Aviator C

Just an FYI... my wife either had her two month CP extended to June,  or (more likely) was awarded the new promo for flying 4 flights... even though they weren't through work. 

Anyone in the same situation may want to check the app. 

bec102896
Aviator A

Looks like I got the 4 month Companion Pass as well and all my flights were booked on the app or website. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

Just an FYI... my wife either had her two month CP extended to June,  or (more likely) was awarded the new promo for flying 4 flights... even though they weren't through work. 

Anyone in the same situation may want to check the app. 

Congrats!

FYI, They didn't have to be through work. From my earlier post:

"FYI: While targeted, it was confirmed by a Southwest rep on another forum that as long as you were targeted and then registered, the bookings could be made through any channel."

gsking
Aviator C

Yeah,  I didn't suspect they could target the purchase channel that closely. 

Unfortunately,  I moved her back to being MY companion.   So now we're at a loss on how to structure many flights to utilize the CP.  Too many benefits... first world problems.