Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Purchasing Drink Coupons

LorrieB
Explorer C

Hello,

Can drink coupons be purchased from SWA before a flight?  We would prefer to use coupons rather than our credit card during the flight.  We are not looking for free coupons or to buy from anyone other than SWA.  Is there a way to pre-pruchase drinks by buying drink coupons?

Thanks,

Lorrie B

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Purchasing Drink Coupons

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@LorrieB wrote:

Hello,

Can drink coupons be purchased from SWA before a flight?  We would prefer to use coupons rather than our credit card during the flight.  We are not looking for free coupons or to buy from anyone other than SWA.  Is there a way to pre-pruchase drinks by buying drink coupons?

I'm not aware of that option. I'd like to do the same for wifi.

- I suspect the terms are for the coupons to be not transferable, but in practice it may be possible for someone to give you their coupons that they won't be using. 

- Sometimes the FA won't make it back to collect from you anyway, especially late at night flights

- If the flight is delayed > 30 minutes there seems to be an unofficial policy of first round is on Southwest....order up and be prepared to pay, but you may not be asked to do so.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Back in the day you could actually buy a book of drink coupons at the gate, I think it was buy 4 get one free, but that's no longer an option. People do sell them on some websites, but personally I would rather use my credit card on a flight than on an online resale site.

I'm genuinely curious what your apprehension about using a credit card on the flight is, would you mind sharing? It might be good feedback for Southwest.

Thanks, 

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Another option might be to see if someone else is willing to use their credit card to buy the drink if you give them the $5 in cash. If someone said to me all they had was cash I'd be willing to use my card for them.

Or, if anyone happens to be at DEN Thursday morning I would gladly give you a coupon. 

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Southwest stopped selling drink coupon booklets many years ago. You can find them on ebay. Selling them is technically a violation of the terms, but since it's so widespread and Southwest hasn't shut it down, I assume they are fine "looking the other way."

Ebay was flooded with them for the past several months, as a result of hundreds of thousands being issued in response to the BS drink ticket settlement last year. Those all expired recently, so prices have gone up a bit now. But it's still cheaper than paying onboard (especially if you order a $7 drink.) 😉

LorrieB
Explorer C
Solution

Hello TheMiddleSeat,

Honestly I have no apprehension of using my card on an SWA flight.  I was just looking for convience.  Easier to hand them a coupon than have them run a card get a receipt etc...

I would never buy coupons from anywhere/anyone other than SWA, I just didn't know if you could buy them outright and then use them on your travel.  If I could buy them I had considered giving them as stocking stuffers to my adult children.

Thanks for the information, I'll just use my card.

Have a great day!

LorrieB

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@LorrieB wrote:

I would never buy coupons from anywhere/anyone other than SWA, I just didn't know if you could buy them outright and then use them on your travel.  If I could buy them I had considered giving them as stocking stuffers to my adult children.

That's a fun idea, sorry that it isn't one of the options these days. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dwaynec74
Explorer A

fyi,

I have the Priority SW card and gives me 20% off all inflight purchases. I received some coupons from a FA, so I haven't needed to use my card inflight yet. Also, I was wondering what would trigger my reception of coupons directly from SW. Wonder no more, as I received 4 in the mail yesterday.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@dwaynec74

Southwest will send 4 drink coupons for every 10 paid flights you complete. A roundtrip is 2 flights.

Cheers!

--TheMiddleSeat

dwaynec74
Explorer A

@TheMiddleSeat ty for the heads up. I look forward to more deliveries. lol