Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Purchasing Points not eligible for companion pass

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

Curious as to why when you purchase points they do not count towards companion pass status.  Why is this treated differently than purchasing a flight? In essence, when buying points, I am paying for a flight. Just a flight I'm unsure of when I'm taking it.  That purchase still generates revenue for SW...  

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Purchasing Points not eligible for companion pass

BullsFan
Adventurer A

true- good point!

SWA- how 'bout it?!?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @PDFelter,

That's a good question. The Companion Pass is one of the most exciting and prized benefits of the Rapid Rewards Program. There is a great deal of thought put into the terms and conditions surrounding the process of earning A-List, A-List Preferred, and Companion Pass, and the final product is one that we believe to be fair, attainable, and logical for our Customers.

Still, we're open to other ideas and enjoy soliciting feedback from the folks who fly with us. While I can't promise that purchasing points count toward earing a Companion Pass in the near future, I can certainly assure you that we hear you, and we appreciate the idea.

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

Thank you Lindsey for the response and taking the time to listen to new ideas.  I greatly appreciate it! This was just one of those things that always made me wonder...  We love the companion pass and have been forutnate enought to earn it the last few years.  

iceboxpop
Explorer C

I achieved companion pass status with SWA in 2015-2016, and I am within 10,000 points to qualify for 2016-2017.  I am afraid I will fall short by a few hundred points (running out of time in the calendar year).  Can you purchase points to ensure I qualify for next year?

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

No you can not.  If you go to 1-800 flowers and spend $29.99 or more and use code RR41 you will receive 1000 points.  If you go through Southwest Shopping to get to 1-800 flowers you can earn extra 7 points dollar spent.

Good Luck!