Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Qualifying purchases?

zebedancer
Explorer C

If I pay bills with my credit cards, do those count as qualifying purchases/points towards receiving the bonuses and companion pass?  Or do they have to be actual merchandise or travel purchases?  I'm trying to determine, what exactly "qualifying" means.  (I do know that cash advances and the like do NOT count.)

1 REPLY 1

Re: Qualifying purchases?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@zebedancer wrote:

If I pay bills with my credit cards, do those count as qualifying purchases/points towards receiving the bonuses and companion pass?  Or do they have to be actual merchandise or travel purchases?  I'm trying to determine, what exactly "qualifying" means.  (I do know that cash advances and the like do NOT count.)

Any purchase counts towards companion pass points and earns general rapid reward points. I'm not sure if there is an upper limit per year, but if there is that limit is much more than the amount needed to earn companion pass.

You have hit it on the head about qualifying - cash advances, items that are returned, balance transfer, etc. Any"regular" purchase would normally qualify including utility bills, tax bills, shopping, travel, etc.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.