Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Question about enrollment points used for Companion Pass

med2542
Explorer C

Hello!

I spent some time researching how to earn a companion pass and many blogs recommened using the 50,000 bonus points received when you open a new Southwest Rapid Reward credit card with Chase. I waited to open the card until Jan 2017 to maximize the time to earn the pass. I noticed there were some policy changes to the companion pass specifically this expert:

A Member who earns 110,000 Companion Pass Qualifying Points or who flies 100 qualifying one-way flights booked through Southwest Airlines per calendar year will qualify for Companion Pass. Companion Pass Qualifying Points are earned from revenue flights booked through Southwest Airlines, points earned on Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Cards, and base points earned from Rapid Rewards Partners. Purchased points, transferred points transferred between members, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from program enrollment, tier bonus points, flight bonus points, and partner bonus points (with the exception of the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not qualify as Companion Pass Qualifying Points. Points earned during a billing cycle on a Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Card from Chase are not available for redemption or qualification for Companion Pass status until they are posted on your billing statement and posted to your Rapid Rewards Account. Only points posted on your billing statements and posted to your Rapid Rewards Account during the same calendar year are available for qualification for Companion Pass status. No points or Companion Pass Qualifying Points will be awarded for flights taken by the Companion using the Companion Pass.

I know Southwest has since come back and said that the hotel & car transfer points will not be effective until March 31, 2017.

I guess my question is will the 50,000 points from signing up for the card count to my total for the companion pass? Most blogs recommend you to use that but after reading the terms & conditions I'm not sure that works anymore.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Question about enrollment points used for Companion Pass

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Yes, the Southwest Visa Credit Card signup bonus currently still counts towards CP qualification.

Re: Question about enrollment points used for Companion Pass

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Also, to be clear, hotel & car transfer points will be effective until March 31, 2017 (not after).