Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Question on cancelling rapid rewards visa then re applying

vikm23
Explorer C

Hello,

I am considering cancelling my current Chase Rapid Rewards card then reapplying right away to get a new card and the 40K bonus points.  It has been 24 months since my last big bonus so I'm ok there but I didn't know how much time I would need to give before reapplying.  So for example, if I cancel February 1st, can I reapply Feb 5th?  Or will I be denied since I still show as a cardmember?  If anyone can let me know how much time to leave, I'd appreciate it!

Vik

4 REPLIES 4

to Re: Question on cancelling rapid rewards visa then re applying

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

You might be able to open a new account/card but you won't qualify for the promos for 24 months since opening the last one, iirc

Might be helpful to check with Chase!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

Re: Question on cancelling rapid rewards visa then re applying

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

As noted above check with Chase. If you have a significant other perhaps put the new credit card in their name and RR# and work that angle? Since the Chase CC's are related to only one RR member #.

I kicked this idea around a bit myself but worry too much about my Credit score to be moving in and out credit card accounts very often. 

Just a thought, good luck

rich1954
Adventurer A

Your supposed to wait 24 months but I have reapplied after 20 months and was accepted. 40k points is not that great a deal, I would wait for a better one if I was you.

JPBOKC
Explorer C

If there credit good, have your spouse or companion apply for the card and you become the companion.