Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

RR new card holder

danfaltyn2
Explorer C

I just recieved 2 new SW credit cards with a total of 100k towards CP. It is Oct 31,2018 today. I have to spend $3k and $1k for the rewards to count towards the CP. 

I am planning to accumulate rewards for 2019 and 2020. I have no immediate need of using the CP for now. 

When do I start using the cards ? I am just afraid that RR points do not post before Jan 1st.

I understand that points take about 4 weeks to count, but what does that exactly mean? 

If I do make purchases and the points count/posted before Jan 1st,  do the points expire?

So, basically  I am asking what approximate date should I start using the cards?

Thanks for helping me out.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: RR new card holder

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

If I understand you correctly, you seem to be saying you want to have a CP for both 2019 an 2020. If that's the case, you want the bonus credit card points to hit your acount in 2019.

Chase credits points to your account a few days after you get your credit card bill from Chase. So you need to know your billing dates so that you don't earn points in December by mistake.

Points earned before January 1 do not expire, they just don't help you earn a CP in both 2019 and 2020. Only points earned after January 1 will do that.

danfaltyn2
Explorer C

Thanks for the help

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@danfaltyn2 wrote:

I just recieved 2 new SW credit cards with a total of 100k towards CP. It is Oct 31,2018 today. I have to spend $3k and $1k for the rewards to count towards the CP. 

I am planning to accumulate rewards for 2019 and 2020. I have no immediate need of using the CP for now. 

When do I start using the cards ? I am just afraid that RR points do not post before Jan 1st.

I understand that points take about 4 weeks to count, but what does that exactly mean? 

If I do make purchases and the points count/posted before Jan 1st,  do the points expire?

So, basically  I am asking what approximate date should I start using the cards?

Thanks for helping me out.

You'll want to wait until the third month to reach your bonus spending so that the statement that ends during January 2019 includes the credit. If the closing dates were November 30th and December 30th for instance, spending during those periods may qualify in 2018...December 30th could post either way if it takes a while, so the 30th is a bad example - but the idea would be to have the bonus hit in January 2019, and the safest way to do that is make the spending during the statement that would also close in January.

A statement closing in mid-late December could count in 2018 depending how fast the bonus was awarded. I konw they say up to four weeks or about four weeks - but what if it is faster than that?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

danfaltyn2
Explorer C

Thanks for the input