Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rapid Rewards/Chase Credit Card

Breadsmimi
Explorer C

I purchased tickets in February and signed up for a Chase credit card. The promotion offered $200 off your ticket price and 40,000 Bonus Points after spending $1,000. I read the fine print at least ten times over the next two months. I waited 8 weeks for the points to show up before contacting Chase. Imagine my surprise when I was told there was no such offer! The representative offered me 1,000 points instead. Why then is there currently an offer for 60,000 Bonus Points after spending $2,000 for new card members?? I guess I must have imagined the whole thing. Needless to say, I am cancelling the credit card. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Rapid Rewards/Chase Credit Card

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

The problem is that Chase has about 3 different SW card offers, and given the frequency that questions such as your show up here, it apparently very easy to think you are signing up for an offer and then inadvertently sign up for a different offer. I suspect that is what happened to you.

edit add: in the past there were offers that provided points and cash for signing up, and other offers that provided more points and no cash. People that thought they were signing up for the latter, but got the former were able to call Chase and get some resolution. They were able to get the high point offer, but had to pay back the cash.

There has NEVER been a Chase offer that got anyone 1,000 points. I'd recommend that you call Chase and demand better.

RT5026
Explorer C

I would suggest to Southwest that you find another Credit Cards Company to service you customers in Rapid Rewards. Chase is the biggest Pain in the A-- I have ever experienced in my 66 years. Not only are they rude but they  are slow and very difficult to deal with on any problems. There process to sign up is so long and time cusuming I am sure many Southwest customers tell them to forget it.

RT5026
Explorer C

I was told i would get 60,000 points for changing my Companyy Credit Cards to Chase. Never happened yet,it's been 3 months. Chase tells me it's Southwest's problem and Southwest tells me it's a Chase problem. im not happy with either compnay right now.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@RT5026 wrote:

I was told i would get 60,000 points for changing my Companyy Credit Cards to Chase. Never happened yet,it's been 3 months. Chase tells me it's Southwest's problem and Southwest tells me it's a Chase problem. im not happy with either compnay right now.

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble.

The current 60,000 point offers say you wil earn 60,000 points after spending a certain amount of money (the amount dffers depending on th offer). You'd get the points after receiving the statement which pushed you over the spending threshold.

Only Chase knows when that happens. Thus Chase controls when it tells Southwest to give you points. If you haven't  gotten points, only Chase can fix the problem.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@RT5026 wrote:

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble.

The current 60,000 point offers say you wil earn 60,000 points after spending a certain amount of money (the amount dffers depending on th offer). You'd get the points after receiving the statement which pushed you over the spending threshold.

Only Chase knows when that happens. Thus Chase controls when it tells Southwest to give you points. If you haven't  gotten points, only Chase can fix the problem.

The one exception to this might be to verify that your rapid rewards account is correctly associated with the card - i.e. that they didn't make a new RR account for you when creating the credit card. That would be the one likely scenario where Chase says "we sent it" and Southwest would say "we didn't get it yet" if it was in a different account, the points may be there waiting for you in a different spot than where you (and Southwest) are looking for them.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

We're sorry for the frustration, @RT5026 ! As a peer-to-peer support forum, we aren't equipped to assist you here, but my recommendation would be to follow the link below, and specifically, the "Email Us" option. There we can have a Chase liaison (Southwest Employee) do the specific research on  your account and contact Chase to see what's going on.

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint

Nicole
Community Manager

STLTraveler
Explorer C

I had a similar issue with that promotion.  The offer was 40,000 points, and then when the card was approved, I got an instant $200 statement credit. Later, when I received an email that the promotion was only 10,000 points, I protested. After several frustrating phone calls and unhelpful emails, I finally got an answer. IF I notified the company (Chase) when I had spent the minimum to qualify - which was $1,000 - I could "reapply" for the points. Pretty lame...the customer should NOT have to track their spending for a promotion. It should be applied automatically.

But then they said it was one or the  other. I could have the 40,000 points, but the $200 would go back on my card. I said no thanks and cancelled the card. Supposesedly I am getting a refund of the annual fee, as well. What a hassle and a waste of time.

tw6521
Explorer C

I had the exact same thing happen to me.