Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rapid Rewards Credit Card Questions

easysf
Explorer C

I'm looking to open a rapid rewards card since I travel so much and prefer to fly southwest. However, this would only be the second credit card I'm opening and I have A LOT of questions about the process. Do I have to have a Chase bank account in order to pay off/open the card? How do I knnow which level is best? How long does it take to get the card? Is the process of paying the card off arduous? What is the general range of credit scores they look for in opening this card? And finally, those of you who have it, do you find it worth the yearly fee? 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Rapid Rewards Credit Card Questions

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I can offer some answers... 

No, you do not need a Chase account to pay the card or even get the card, use whatever checking account you currently have or want to get.

Which card to get depends on many factors such as how often you fly, will you use the card internationally, will you spend enough to potentially earn A-List points, etc. The same factors weigh in whether or not the annual fee is worth it. Look at how you would use the card and determine what value that gives you. Will you actually use the upgraded boarding position credits? Will avoiding fees for payments in other countries save you money? Points themselves aren't worth much so I wouldn't pay a lot more for a few extra anniversary points. Start by looking at the Plus card and the benefits/cost and then go to the Premiere card and see if the additional benefits are worth the cost. 

If your question about paying off the card is related to the process of logging in and making a payment it's relatively simple. You'll create an account, link your card, and link a checking account. As long as you have the account numbers handy it's pretty easy. Now if you're concerned about actually paying the card or not having the money to pay off the card then I'd suggest you not get it.

I don't remember how long it took to get the card and don't have any info about minimum credit scores. 

If you have questions about the benefits or anything else please reply. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Rapid Rewards Credit Card Questions

dfwskier
Aviator A

@easysf wrote:

I'm looking to open a rapid rewards card since I travel so much and prefer to fly southwest. However, this would only be the second credit card I'm opening and I have A LOT of questions about the process. Do I have to have a Chase bank account in order to pay off/open the card?

no

How do I knnow which level is best?

Assuming that you are talking about a personal card as opposed to a business card, there's not much difference. Both give 40k bonus points. The priority card is $80/year more expensive, but you get more "stuff" -  $75 travel credit, 4 priority boardings, 4500 more anniversary points. So from a pure financial standpoint, IMO, the priority card is the better deal.

How long does it take to get the card?

If done via phone, it's instantaneous.

Is the process of paying the card off arduous?

Not more than any other card you have.

And finally, those of you who have it, do you find it worth the yearly fee? 

The first year, you get over $600 value (40k points)  in points. After that you have a fee to continue to earn points. If you spend enough, you earns points that are worth about 1.5+ cents a point. Only you can decide whether or not that is worthwhile