Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rapid Rewards Credit Card

ncrouch
Explorer C

I've been looking into getting some sort of credit card that earns me airmiles. My family pretty much always flies with Southwest, so that was the obvious choice. My only concern is that Southwest only flies to certain international desinations.

Does anyone know if its possible to exchange the reward points for flights on other airlines so that they can be used on flights to places that Southwest doesn't fly, such as Japan or Europe?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Rapid Rewards Credit Card

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It is possible, but if that's really your goal you should get a credit card that specializes in that.  You'll get a better reward earning rate if you use a card designed specifically for what you want.

--TheMiddleSeat

ncrouch
Explorer C

Its not my main goal. Most of my travel would most likely be domestic. I'd just like the option to go international. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

to amplify what themiddleseat said, it is possible thru more rewards which is accessible thru the Southwest website, but only available for Chase Southwest card holders.

It is VERY expensive from a points standpoint to book an international flight. The point conversion to ticket dollars, frankly, sucks.

gsking
Aviator C

Don't bother.   It won't be worth it, assuming it's even possible.   I don't think is.

The best reason to get the SW card is to get the sign up bonus miles at the beginning of the year to get your companion pass.   Then one person flies free.   

International travel and miles is best served by other airlines.