Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rapid Rewards Partner Budget car rental

TomDivelbs
Explorer C

I used the Southwest Rapid Rewards program to choose a rental car for my recent January 11, 2023 flights # 0797 and # 0212

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Rapid Rewards Partner Budget car rental

dfwskier
Aviator A

Just about every airline offers their customers the opportunity to rent cars from just about every major rent car company - Budget  being one of them. The airlines do this as a customer convenience so passengers don't have to visit multiple websites to get airfare, cars, and yes even hotels.

The rent cat companies are not "partners" with any of the airlines, although some award FF miles to customers that rent their cars. The car companies buy the miles from the airlines. I'm sure the airlines get a "cut" of any revenue generated from the airlines' websites.

I've had my own horror stories with various rent car companies not named Budget.

Sorry you ran into trouble, but if you really don't like Budget, don;t rent one of their cars again.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

As noted, the connection between SWA and Budget is really just a conduit not a partnership. From an advice point of view, Deal directly with the rental company, you can direct them to deposit points in your airline of choice's frequent flyer account, so there is almost ZERO benefit to reserving through an airline's website.

When you make a rental reservation through the airline's portal you are basically one step above a "Priceline" or "Expedia." customer, (which are the lowest tier on the totem pole). When you set up frequent user account with a rental car company you receive in most cases better rates, better service at the counter or avoiding the counter entirely, more likely hood of a free upgrade, and just plain better service. Why is this? All the rental companies I deal with require me to have my drivers license on file, my cc on file, etc..

This means I walk(or ride the shuttle) to the car and go, no 30 minute line waiting behind the Priceline customer.  

Safe travels

TomDivelbs
Explorer C

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Obviously, I regret using Budget, as they are holding me responsible for a tire I did not damage. Regardless, I like your suggestion of setting up a frequent account with a rental car company. My company arranged this prior to retiring and I always got superior and quick service. I am curious if you have a company or two you feel provide good prices and service? Thanks again.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TomDivelbs wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Obviously, I regret using Budget, as they are holding me responsible for a tire I did not damage. Regardless, I like your suggestion of setting up a frequent account with a rental car company. My company arranged this prior to retiring and I always got superior and quick service. I am curious if you have a company or two you feel provide good prices and service? Thanks again.

I use Costco rental cars which include Alamo, Avis, Budget, and Enterprise and then I will use Hertz direct. 

I get a bigger discount through Costco than I would benefit from the extra points so I don't use the partner programs for rental cars. I probably prioritize them last out of this group for minor issues but I've never had anything like you are describing.

Budget would usually be included among the major brands, so I think you are unfortunately having an unexpected experience with them. 

The tire thing is strange, I don't know what the damage was it might have happened while you were driving or its possible they aired it up right before they gave it to you, it would be difficult to know without more information on what the damage was to the tire. 

$800+ sounds like a lot though.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Dispute the charge on your credit card, agreeing only to pay what was originally contracted.

I have an ongoing complaint with Avis/Budget Group over how they handle issues.