Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rapid Rewards points for hotel posted to companion's account

JuniorMint65
Explorer B

My companion (my daughter) and I traveled in January and booked a hotel through the Southwest site. Three days after our trip I got an email stating that my points had posted to my account. The points did not appear in my account. I made three calls and sent an email. Finally a customer service rep told me my points had posted to another account. I sent another email and received a response that the points were posted to my daughter's account and "regrettably, we are unable to move these points to your account." I did not use her RR number to book the hotel because I had no idea she had a Rapid Rewards number.

Has anyone else had this experience? I wasn't aware that the companion could receive my points and don't understand why this happened.

Now if I want to transfer them I have to pay. This puts me 8,000 points behind for earning the next companion pass.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Rapid Rewards points for hotel posted to companion's account

dfwskier
Aviator A

Have your daughter verify that the points actually went into her account.

Either that is not true, or somehow your daughter's RR# ended up on the hotel reservation.

JuniorMint65
Explorer B

It is true, I just don't know how her Rewards number ended up on the hotel reservation. I made the reservation and she doesn't have a credit card. I always manually type in my rewards number, I don't copy and paste or do auto-anything. I'm wondering if this will happen every time I book a flight and hotel. 

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

might need to verify the rapid rewards number you are using.  When you create the companion, they are given a rapid rewards number.  Maybe you thought that was yours?

JuniorMint65
Explorer B

No, I manually input my number. I didn't even know she had a separate number.

Somehow it happened. We had flown together once with the pass before this trip, but I had never booked a flight and hotel until this trip. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

In your first post you said " I did not use her RR number to book the hotel because I had no idea she had a Rapid Rewards number."

but ..

I believe SW requires a companion to have a RR number.

So at one point you had it in order to set her up as your companion.

And somehow it got into the booking.com booking.

I believe what PDFelter said upthread is the most likely explanation.

JuniorMint65
Explorer B

SW may require the companion to have a RR number, but I had NO idea it was a separate number from my number. When I added her I did not know it was a separate number. There was no declaration or statement that I saw.

My purpose in posting this is to find out if anyone else has had this problem. It still does not make sense for her account to be credited with the points if I made the reservation with my SW credit card.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@JuniorMint65 wrote:

It is true, I just don't know how her Rewards number ended up on the hotel reservation. I made the reservation and she doesn't have a credit card. I always manually type in my rewards number, I don't copy and paste or do auto-anything. I'm wondering if this will happen every time I book a flight and hotel. 

I would follow up with the hotel to see what they submitted. 

Are your names very similar? Maybe the hotel turned it in without any RR# and someone mapped it to your daughter?

Did you book direct with the hotel, through Southwest.com, or a site like RocketMiles? Any of these might have accidentally had an autocomplete somewhere along the way although you mentioned manually writing it down maybe it was somewhere in the reservation already.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

JuniorMint65
Explorer B

Yes, our names are similar. I booked through Southwest, Booking.com. 

I'll follow up, it's just that it would be nice if they put the points where they belong.

bec102896
Aviator A

You an always use your daughters points to book a flight for yourself without transferring.