Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rapid Rewards points transfer or gift time

kellydifiglia
Explorer C

Good Day SWA, If I am the transferer or gifter of points , how many hours or days or business days does it take for Rapid Rewards points to show up in the account of my transferee or giftee please? Thank you, Kelly

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Rapid Rewards points transfer or gift time

franktravel
Aviator B

I my self would never gift or transfer points because of the cost.  You can purchase anyone a ticket with your points if that's why you want to transfer them.  It may make sense to transfer points to someone if they are a few thousand points short for a ticket.  It all depends on the cost to transfer. 

Re: Rapid Rewards points transfer or gift time

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Transferred points cost 1 cent per point, gifted points cost 3 cents each (same as buying, but for someone else instead of yourself).

As mentioned, it's usually not a good idea* to buy/transfer/gift points, unless 1) there's a promotion involved that lowers the effective price, and/or 2) you just need a few to "top off" and buy a specific flight. That said, purchased/transferred points usually show up immediately, and gifted points are usually ready to be claimed very quickly, although the terms say it can take up to 72 hours.

Points conditions: Transactions are nonrefundable and nonreversible. Points will post within 72 hours. Purchased, gifted, transferred, and donated points do not count toward Tier or Companion Pass status. A credit card must be used to complete point purchase, gift, and transfer transactions. Points can be bought for personal use or as a gift in blocks of 1,000 during promotional periods and 500 when off promotion with an initial minimum purchase of 2,000 points and a daily combined maximum of 60,000 points. Points can be transferred or donated in blocks of 1,000 during promotional periods and 500 when off promotion with a minimum initial transfer of 2,000 points and a daily maximum of 60,000 points. Unless Southwest Airlines and a charity jointly announce otherwise, no portion of the purchase price that a Passenger pays for a ticket is paid to any charity or may automatically generate Rapid Rewards Points for any charity, even those Southwest Airlines preselects as eligible recipients of the Rapid Rewards donation program. Southwest Airlines reserves the right to change the charities that are eligible to participate in the Rapid Rewards donation program at any time without notice.

*One exception is if your existing points are in danger of expiring (24 months from last point earning activity). Buying points will extend your expiration for another 24 months.