Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rapid Rewords points... Loyalty or Liability

jakez
Explorer A

Yet again another story about a long term loyal customer's points expired by southwest.

I have been a rapid rewards memeber and A lister for over ten years and never had my points taken from me until now.  Granted I haven't had the need to fly lately but none the less My points have been expired and my family vacation now canceled.  Cat Mad Cat Mad Cat Mad 

I was lterally getting ready to check out with My Airfair when I reallized that My pooints were at "0" (down from over 50K).  I immiediatly called Customer Service to dicuss my missing points and found out that my points were expired the day before. They told me I should call thier "Customer Care" dept to discuss my situation.  After pleading My case they told me there is nothing they could nor would do to help. I was also told there was no further ability to escalate to nor any other person I could talk to.  Hense why I am creating this discussion and Hope that I can prevent this from happening to any other soutwest customers.  If you are reading this Please make sure you monitor points and use them otherwise Soutwest will take them away even though they say they don't.

As far as I am concerned there is no reason to expire rewards points unless soutwest doesn't want to honor them in the first place.  Might have to give my Loyalty to another Airline that actually cares about my Loyalty and doesn't look at my points as a Liability. 

Very Frustrated and Disappointed With Southwest...   

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Rapid Rewords points... Loyalty or Liability

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

That's quite a bummer.

Definitely good to remember that you must have points earning activity on the account at least once in a rolling 24 month period. 

jakez
Explorer A

Small update on my story...

I found out some more information in researching my purchse history with Southwest.  Appaerntly I also haven't been getting credit for any of my rental car purchses made through rapid rewards.  One of which, fortunately, is within the time limits that would have extended the expireation date of my rewards points by 6 months.  I am still awaiting to see if Southwest will reinstate all of my points... 

Please if you are reading this make sure you check oon your rental car purchases and make sure you are getting credit for them.  In My case I rented with National and they simply never reported my rental back to Rapid rewards.  

More to come!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@jakez wrote:

Small update on my story...

I found out some more information in researching my purchse history with Southwest.  Appaerntly I also haven't been getting credit for any of my rental car purchses made through rapid rewards.  One of which, fortunately, is within the time limits that would have extended the expireation date of my rewards points by 6 months.  I am still awaiting to see if Southwest will reinstate all of my points... 

Please if you are reading this make sure you check oon your rental car purchases and make sure you are getting credit for them.  In My case I rented with National and they simply never reported my rental back to Rapid rewards.  

More to come!

That's good news. If you've had earning activity in the past 6 months that you weren't credited for, that could be a reason for Customer Relations to reinstate your points.

Just to be clear, any earning activity will extend the life of your points for 24 months (not 6). In order to keep your account alive and not lose your points, you just need any earning activity at least once every 24 months.

Good luck!

jakez
Explorer A

Another frustrating update from Southwest...

I logged in this morning to check on my account to find that southwest gave me credit for my missing rental car points how ever they made it so that it only counts as new points and there for can not reinstate my points.  I got this genaric email fro southwest 

"  Dear Jacob,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your Rapid Rewards points from one of our Partners, National.

We contacted National on your behalf, and they are unable to issue points to your account based on the information you provided. Please note that any National rentals that were completed more than six months ago are not eligible for points.

That said, please know that nobody likes to lean in the Customer’s favor more than Southwest Airlines. Although the points were not processed, as a gesture of goodwill and onetime exception, we have deposited 600 points in your Rapid Rewards account for your rental. This will show as a “Points Adjustment” in your account online, and will not be accompanied by the specific car rental information.

We truly value your patronage as a Member, and we look forward to welcoming you onboard another flight soon!

Sincerely,"

What's really frustrating is that I proved to southwest that they mistakenly expired my points and they still will not reinstate my points.  grrrrrrrr I am so frustrated with southwest I can't even type.

More to come... 

jakez
Explorer A

still nothing from Southwest...

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, it sounds like you need to reach out to National directly. Are you sure the rental was within the last 6 months?