Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Rent car using reward points?

Darla73
Explorer C

Update for December 2022:

For anyone looking for this answer, the Rapid Rewards section for car rentals is down indefinitely.  It is possible to rent a car with Rapid Rewards points, but you need to have 75% of the value of the rental accumulated or purchased in points, and the remainder can be purchased by credit card, if necessary.  To reserve a car or speak to a representative, call (888) 658-4826.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Darla73 wrote:

Update for December 2022:

For anyone looking for this answer, the Rapid Rewards section for car rentals is down indefinitely.  It is possible to rent a car with Rapid Rewards points, 

Possible, but not advised due to the really poor redemption rates.

Southwest has stated: "Starting 2023: Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Cardmembers are getting even more ways to redeem and enjoy the points they’ve earned." so look for this to be bookable online next year, although still a horrible use of RR points.

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

I have a trip coming up in January and I have already cancelled and rebooked the same rental car now six times (free cancellation and no money paid to reserve) and the price for the week went from $497 to $367 now.  

Once you use points, I'm not sure if you are getting a good deal.  I'm already saving $130 on the rental car by simply watching the prices.

I use points to fly only, not for anything else.