Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Resolved! The A-List and Companion Pass Erroneous E-Mail

TJS
Explorer C

I was so please to learn today that many forum posts including my own concerning the Erroneous A-List and Companion Pass E-Mail issue were resolved by SWA. So now all of the existing discussions related to this topic are closed and no more replies or discussion allowed.

Well, now that this is behind us we can move on. So in the spirit of moving on, I canceled my SWA Visa cards and booked my new flights on other airlines (I was reminded how many places you can fly to directly at lower fares than SWA).

Final though for SWA – you are not as good as you think you are or were in the past. Your loyalty program was what kept a lot of us hanging on with you -- me anyway. 

Yes, you made a mistake and mistakes happen, but this one was timely as it reminded me (perhaps others) that we have many choices when we fly and often lower rates and more convenient flights are available elsewhere.

I guess this has a happy ending after all.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Resolved! The A-List and Companion Pass Erroneous E-Mail

franktravel
Aviator B

The grass is not always greener on the other side!

Good luck to you! 

TJS
Explorer C

By greener grass do you mean better prices, more routes and times to choose from and better reward policies - so far the grass is sweet and green 😉

franktravel
Aviator B

Your right!  paying bag fees and change fees is much greener! 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Compare fares -- often times Southwest's is higher by about $50, or about the cost to check bags. Also, just by having a competitor's credit card you can avoid paying bag fees in the first place.

Change fees are where Southwest generally wins, but for many business travelers, changes are often made at the last minute. Southwest charges no "change fee" but does collect the upgrade to the same-day fare, which can be much higher than other carriers change fee. And other carriers allow standby or confirmed same-day changes for a small fee ($50/$75), or even free for their elites. Southwest wins on changes made well in advance, but other carriers win on same-day ones. Also, many customers simply don't make changes, meaning "no change fees" is of little benefit to them.